LIKE LOVERS DO (best friend james x best friend reader)

SUM : you and James Potter are just friends —friends that act like they're in a loving relationship.  

G. : modern au ; muggle au ; idiots in love ; james loves giving you princess treatment ; and you love returning his affections ; just friends being friends ; hehehe~ ; they're in denial ; domestic fluff ; selfcare session ; biker james? ; james being a sweetheart ; reader being absolute wifey material! ; james and reader being so in love it's sickening ; the type of sickening that makes you puke rainbows, glitter and love hearts ; mutual pinning! ; slightly based off a tiktok i saw once ; happy ending where they get together ; so much fluff ; scheming gremlin friends ; lily, dorcas and marlene as cupids for reader ; remus, sirius and peter as cupids for james

LENGTH : 3.6k

 · · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"They should wear a sign," Peter laughs as he and his close friends eye the pair of oblivious idiots across the room, "one that says 'we're actually together no matter how much we deny it',"

"You said it," Sirius raises a hand and the two high-five each other before sniggering between themselves.

Across the hall stood you and James. It was a networking event disguised as a formal company party. And even though you and James weren't each other's dates to the event, James wore a matching tie to your chosen dress. The two of you unanimously decided to go with the excuse that you had both gone shopping for an outfit together and unconsciously bought matching things. It was only natural because you two were such good, close friends.

From a distance, the three watch as you lift your left foot up through the high side-slit of your dress and draw attention to your unbuckled heel with a frown. James' hazel eyes focuses onto your heel as well and immediately places his flute of champagne on a nearby table to help you, as if it was second nature to him; it is second nature to him— taking care of you. He's kneeling down and re-buckling your heel for you as your hand tentatively places itself on his broad shoulder for balance.

Once James is finished, he stands back up with a grin, takes up his flute with one hand and wraps his other around your waist to pull you into his side with a smile. Neither of you flinch at the closeness, in fact, you snuggle further into your best friend's side and tuck your head under his chin so he can place a kiss onto the crown of your head.

"Wanna bet on who folds first?" Remus speaks up with a devious smirk, Sirius and Peter eagerly voicing their predictions and placing their bets.

 · · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"Oh Jamie!" you gasp and smile widely as your best friend presents you with a beautiful bouquet of flowers, "They're beautiful," he helps the floral arrangement into your arms with a satisfied grin, a fondness in his eyes as he watches you savour the scent of the pretty blossoms.

"My pleasure, my dear," he regales dramatically as you giggle, "I passed by the florist on my way back from lunch at the pub with the boys and thought you'd like them,"

"I do like them," you lean forward and kiss him on the cheek, "you're so thoughtful, thank you for thinking of me, James,"

His warm smile softens further and he kisses your temple lovingly, "of course," aside from the lingering scent of your shampoo and conditioner, James picks up on something more appetising, "what's that delicious smell, angel?"