01:15 ⏤THE PRETTY MECHANIC (biker james x mechanic reader)

SUM. : james borrows sirius' new motorbike and ends up breaking down on the road, thankfully he remembers a mechanic shop nearby and heads straight for it - he doesn't expect to meet the prettiest mechanic there though

TAGS. : fluff ; modern au ; muggle au ; mechanic reader ; biker james ; reader is oblivious ; reader is just doing her job ; james being the love sick puppy that he is ; james is a loveable dork ; james breaks a promise ; sirius doesn't have to know ; legal vandalism? ; vandalisim is never legal kids ; don't try this at home ; james and sirius are BFFs!

LENGTH : 1.1k

NOT PROOFREAD OR EDITED

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

James was FUCKED!...

He had borrowed Sirius' new motorbike but now it was shutting down on him and he didn't know what to do! This has never happened with his best friend's previous bike before. That bike was easy to handle, not at the beginning, but over time, James had grown familiar with it and now that he was on a new bike, he didn't even know where to begin with trying to remedy the issue – whatever the issue was!

"Padfoot's gonna kill me if his sweet new ride breaks down," James' voice shakes as he panics silently to himself, "and it's all because of me..."

James remembers spending an entire week trying to convince Sirius to allow him the privilege of riding his new motorbike. A matte, all black Triumph Daytona 660. It was a beautiful ride, and one that Sirius was proud to own and made him promise to handle with the greatest care. Sirius' love for the motor vehicle was contagious and made James just as much of a fanatic over bikes. James had his own Suzuki SV650 in red and black finish.

Handling of Sirius' Triumph was unparalleled, not only did it look artful on the road but it was also incredibly agile. The footpeg was well placed and, accompanied with the raised clip-on handlebars, the position it locks you in for a speedier cruise was so much more compelling compared to his Suzuki. The Triumph definitely didn't shy away from staking its claim as a sports bike but that only meant it was more addicting to ride.

And now, here James was...

After breaking down at the side of the road, he had been pushing and pushing the bike all the way into the previous town he had passed and was now on his way to the mechanic shop he had caught a small glimpse of when passing. He worked up quite the sweat but didn't pay it much attention; too worried over Sirius' disappointment and anger. James made a promise to take care of his new motorbike and he had just broken said promise. Staring up at the mechanic sign, James took a breath and clung onto the slight hope that whatever happened could be fixed.

"Damn," the new voice makes James' head snap towards the open garage of the shop, "is that your bike?"

"Uh..." James struggles to form any words because, how could he when you were staring at him with such pretty eyes and sweet-looking lips? When you were dressed in the typical motorbike mechanic overall-type uniform, all black and clearly oversized, swamping your figure in the most adorable way. Just a moment ago his heart had been racing in fear of Sirius' fury but now it was racing for an entirely different reason. You're so pretty... pretty and with the kindest eyes. Your lips are moving... so you're probably talking to him right now but he can't hear anything when his eyes are so focused on the way your lips shape around different words. Oh! But he bets your voice sounds as pretty as you so he should probably start listening to you again.

"--ou okay?" you finish with worried eyes and James could only guess what you were just saying.

"Y-yeah!.." he bashfully turns away from your gaze, "Sorry about that,"

"It's alright," when he turns back to you again, James has to stop himself from sighing dreamily and openly drooling over just how pretty you were. But you were smiling at him! And so sweetly too that his insides melt around the butterflies fluttering around his stomach, "what can we do for you today?"

"My uhh...my friend's bike. I was just borrowing it and it broke down a few miles from here," he admits as a frown marks his features with guilt and despair, "I-I don't know what could be wrong with it..."

"Don't worry," James watches you tilt your head in a gesture of welcoming him inside, "we'll can take a look for you," if James thought you were pretty before, now he think you're angelic – he can't help but believe in your words fully and feel all his worries wash away, banished by the shine of your bright smile and warm gaze, "I'm sure we'll get you back on the road in no time!"

Forget melting into a puddle, James was evaporating into mist!

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

The problem with Sirius' Triumph Daytona 660 was that it ran out of fuel and James was too busy panicking and stressing over being a bad friend for breaking his promise. That was the good news, the bad news was that he totally just embarrassed himself in front of the cute motorbike mechanic AND now he has no reason to ever see you again!

Desperate times call for desperate measures...

...James faces his Suzuki SV650 with his well beloved hockey stick in hand. A sacrifice has to be made and he doesn't mind it being his bike. Should he aim for the front light or the back? He read somewhere that submerging the engine in water whilst running it would get water in and the air intake wouldn't be able to compress in the cylinders and end up bending the conrods and smashing the valves. The pool would work for that one.

James looks at his hockey stick again before making a final decision. He can do this for now and when you fix his bike, he can say he 'accidentally rode his bike into his pool'. Yeah that would work! James raises his arms above his head, aiming for the front light of his Suzuki and takes a breath before swinging down—

"James!" Sirius' panicked shout makes him seize up entirely, his powerful swing down paused mid-air, "What the hell do you think you're doing?!" his best friend had been staying over and was wondering what he had been doing spending so much time in the garage and came walking into an unfathomable scene.

"Uhhh..." I want to see the pretty mechanic again!

"The 'pretty' what?" Sirius pulls a disbelieving face. This was all for a girl?... It's not surprising considering the way James used to act around Lily but vandalising his own motorbike?

Shit! I said that out loud.

"Yes, yes you did..." James can't bring himself to answer. However, he didn't have to as Sirius stalks over to the toolbox and grabs a wrench. He didn't even need to explain himself. Both share a smile before beginning to do a number on his once very beloved Suzuki.

"Thanks Siri," panting, James wipes the sweat off his brow and faces his best friend with a boyish grin. Out of everyone else in the world, of course Sirius would have his back and not ask questions–

"Wait– why were you at the mechanics in the first place?"

"Uhhh...."

"James?..."

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

A/N : like most of my timestamps, i wrote this incredibly sleep deprived but inspired and couldn't wait so here you darlings go <3 please forgive any spelling or grammatical mistakes and i hope you enjoy the fluff hehe~