Chapter 6

Hina

Two hours ago

I wanted to visit mom and talk to her about something I've been thinking about these days. I should've probably told Keigo first—not that he'd be opposed to it—but I had to make sure she wanted it as well.

Since we all decided to start over, why must she live so far away from her kids? She can live with us in Tokyo and visit each other whenever we want. We won't need a flight trip to say hello.

"Hina," She looks surprised. Well, I did show up without notice. "Come inside; are Keigo and Kaori with you?"

"No, I came alone." I take a seat on the couch, placing my bag next to me. "I wanted to talk to you."

"Something wrong?"

"No, it's nothing to be worried about," I pat my hand next to me, motioning her to sit. "Come, sit."

"Alright, then," She adjusts her dress, sliding her hands below her thighs and towards her knees. "What is it?"

"So, since we are all good and are trying to start over," I turn my body towards her, tucking my hair behind both my ears. "I thought maybe you could move out and we can find you a place near us in Tokyo. To have you close."

I'm nervous, suddenly. Why am I nervous, what's the worst thing she could say, no?

"Oh," That didn't sound like a yes "oh," even though she's smiling. Her eyes travel from dot to dot in the room, thinking about it, before she finally shifts back to me. She gets a hold of my hand, smiling like she's about to say something sad. "I don't know, Hina. I know we agreed on a fresh start but I don't think I have those privileges yet."

"What do you mean?"

"What has Keigo told you about me?"

"Not much," I don't like where this is going, for some reason. "Just the most important things. You know them."

"I do," She whispers, the tone in her voice sounding regretful. "And that's why I am still unsure if I deserve to even be called a mother from you three. I may not remember you, Hina, but I do know whatever they went through, you experienced the same thing. You were probably sent with them, too, that day."

"Sent where?"

"He didn't tell you about..." I really don't like where this is going. It feels as if there's something I must've known but neither of my siblings told me. "After your father was caught, I took you all and left that thing we called a home. We were left with nothing and I forced Keigo to steal money so we could at least survive. Then, two men approached us one day and said they would help us but wanted to take you away to make you special heroes in exchange. They were working for the hero commission."

"The...The hero...Commission...?"

"Yes," She lets out a sigh. "I gave you up in a heartbeat once I was assured an easy life. I didn't think...I didn't know you would have to go through everything Keigo told me."

"Exactly what did we go through?" Her hand is still holding mine and I squeeze it a little. My heart has already started beating fast. and my breathing is a little heavier. "Please, tell me, Keigo never told me about this. I have to know."

I don't know how to feel about this. Why didn't Keigo tell me? I told him from day one that whatever it is, I want to know about my life. It is my life. He has no right to hide a single thing from me.

The things I heard from my mother...I understand why he didn't tell me but still. My hands must've started shaking because she held them tighter with both hands. She hesitated to tell me many things before assuring her that I want to listen to everything she knows.