T h i r t e e n

Slowly, I move my head. My fingers are sliding over a rough texture; I try to move them. My eyes flutter open, blinking a few times to adjust my vision.

What's going on?

As I try to move my hand, I'm unable to do so. My eyes snap to them and my body is tied to a chair.

What the hell?!

I look around the room hysterically. It looks like an old room but clean. The dim light illuminates it and I see the darkness of the night peeking from the blinds.

It feels like someone has punched me when all my memories come crashing down.

The video. The police station. I was on my way.

My blood runs cold.

Zayan.

I found out Zayan's true face and then... I got kidnapped!

Ya Allah! Oh my, oh no, oh no! What do I do? What do I do?!

Tears blind my vision and one by one droplets of water slide down my face.

It's too much. Too much to handle.

Zayan. I can't believe it. One of them was Zayan. Oh my Allah! That's why I thought the voice sounded familiar when I heard it that night! I had heard his voice first in the cafe.

No, this can't be! It just can't! He can't be a killer, please, he can't be those monsters.

I try to wiggle my wrists to loosen the rope, I try to move my body, but I can't. Sobbing, I look for something to get me out of here. I don't want to die here. I don't.

All hairs on my back stand up as I hear the knob turn. Fear completely absorbs my mind whole and I feel like I'll burst from it. I hiss as I feel the burn on my wrists as I try to wiggle them.

"Looks like our guest is finally awake." I freeze. I stop breathing as I hear footsteps enter and my heart falls to the ground when my eyes fall onto the four guys surrounding me.

That's not all.

I feel like my whole world shatters as I meet the eyes of the fifth person. Zayan's eyes are cold and guarded, not allowing me to see what's going on in his mind.

It's true. It's true. It's true. I can't believe this. I was hanging out with a serial killer all those days. I laughed with the person who snatched other people's happiness. I smiled at the person who wiped everyone else's. I welcomed the guy who ruined others' lives.

I liked the man who is a monster.

He keeps his gaze away from mine, as if deliberately not wanting to look at me.

Before I could think anything else, a sixth person enters and I ask myself if I'm actually here or is this a nightmare.

Ahsan Malik, our economic professor stands in front of me. He looks the same yet he doesn't. The expression on his face and the look in his eyes makes me want to run for the hills.

Allah, what is going on?

"Z-Zayan... " My voice is pathetically weak and broken as I stare at him with fear and disgust. He doesn't look at me. I slowly move my eyes to Ahsan. "I... I thought you were a... teacher... "

Ahsan guffaws loudly. "Me? Teacher?" He snorts, his malicious eyes trained on me. "I had to take that annoying as shit job just to find that bitch who witnessed everything. And, here you are."

I look at him with wide, fearful eyes and notice Zayan's fist clench.

"Zayan... " I desperately call out to him. This can't be real. He can't be what he seems. There must be a reason. Maybe they're forcing him, maybe they're blackmailing him. He can't be a killer. He's not like that!