S i x t e e n

Insha runs out the room, her legs tremble and she almost trips twice as she tries to navigate through the house. She feels like screaming but she wills herself to focus on the task at hand. Her heart almost jumps out of her chest as she hears a whistle; a whistle that holds a menacing tone. She pushes her legs faster and she barges inside a random room, shutting the door.

She looks around the room, taking in the computers attached to the tables, screens decorating the wall. She runs towards the tables and she almost cries out looking at the familiar device on it. She immediately grabs it and switches on her phone. She dials the emergency number.

Zayan slowly walks around the house, softly pushing every door open and glancing inside with a smile. “Darling, where are you?” He calls out in the silence. His whistle echoes through the house as his steps keep increasing. “I told you not to run from me.” He murmurs, a dark smiling playing on his lips. “It makes me want to chase you even more.” His voice holds cruelty, one that could instil fear in anybody’s heart.

Insha slumps back under the table, shutting her eyes for a moment.

"911, what's your emergency?"

She breathes out shakily. "He's going to find me.. Please help me..."

A pause. "Please calm down, may I know your name first?"

"I-Insha Azeez. Please hurry! Please!" She cries silently.

Moments later, Insha hears the dispatcher's response, her voice filling with realization and recognition. "Insha Azeez, age 20, missing since two weeks? The daughter of Azeez Ahmed and Haniya Tehreen? Is that you speaking?"

Hearing her parents name brought an ache in her heart as she nods in the dark room. "It's me. Please help me, he'll find me."

"Okay, Miss Insha, I want you to stay calm." Rustling is heard on the other end and then the woman speaks again. "Who's going to find you? Are you hiding somewhere?"

"Yes... I'm hiding under a table. He... he's a serial killer. The one who murdered all those people. Zayan Fadel. They.. they were a gang and they- they kidnapped me and only he's left and he's gonna find me and I don't know what he's gonn-"

"Take deep breaths, Insha. Deep breaths. We'll save you. Okay? Just trust us. Do you know where you are? Where did they take you?"

Insha closes her eyes and sniffles. "No.. I have no idea. I was always tied to a chair.. I don't know..."

"Okay, okay. That's alright. That's not a problem. We have tracked your location through your phone and the police are now on their way. Just keep talking to me until then. We'll find you." The woman softly says, trying to calm down the helpless girl.

"What if he gets to me before that? He's crazy. He's a monster." She cries, her body shaking.

"He won't. We'll get to you before that. We won't let anything happen to you." A pause and then, "You said they were a gang, but 'only he's left'. Can you please elaborate on that?" The dispatcher asks.

Insha grips the phone tightly in her hand and pushes herself further under the table. "He- he killed them all. Zayan Fadel killed all his members in front of me." She recalls those horrific memories and covers her mouth, controlling the desperate screams of terror.

There is silence on the other line before the woman speaks up, confused and in disbelief. "I'm sorry, what? Killed them all? Zayan Fadel did? Why did he do that?"

Now, Insha was the one to stay silent for a while. It was a messed up situation. She didn't know how to answer the question. To tell the woman just why he did that. "Because he's crazy. And... because they hurt me."