28

"Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak knits up o-er wrought the heart and bids it break

"Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak knits up o-er wrought the heart and bids it break."

―William Shakespeare

She was surprised when Kane allowed her to join them at the dinner. She expected to be left upstairs with Oran, who wasn't close enough to the commander to get his own invite. Perhaps Clarke had spoken to the man and convinced him to give her another chance, but it didn't matter much how she got a seat at the table. What mattered was that she was there, and she needed to keep herself in check. She couldn't risk the lives of her friends any more.

Bellamy stood on one side of her, with Raven on the other, as they waited to sit and begin the meal. As much as she hated to admit it, because she was scared that one of her people had poisoned her plate, the food made Astoria's mouth water. There was rice and vegetables in front of each chair, and a large roasted pig that had yet to be cut up in the centre of the table. If she had no manners, she would have sat and started to eat before the Commander told them to begin, but she knew better.

"Please accept this gift, Commander," Kane began, fiddling with the wrapped bottle in his hands. "We drink this at special occasions. I believe this qualifies."

He held the bottle of clear liquid out to Lexa, and she nodded at her second in command—Gustus, Astoria had learned—to take it. Kane allowed the larger man to hand it off to the Commander, and after a moment of observing it she looked back up to the man. "Thank you, Marcus of the Sky People."

"You're welcome, Lexa..." he trailed off, thinking over his words to make sure he got the pronunciation correct. "Kom Trikru," Kane added, and Astoria would have smiled if not for the copious amounts of eyes on her. "Just, uh, don't drink too much of it."

Without another word, Lexa turned to who she saw as the true leader of the sky people. "Clarke, let us drink together," she purposed, and the blonde nodded her head.

"It would be my pleasure," Clarke answered quickly, and a grounder rushed up to hand Gustus two cups.

Lexa poured the liquid into both, reaching over to hand Clarke one before holding the other out to Gustus before he even spoke. "Heda, allow me," he volunteered, and after making eye contact with Kane he took a small sip. Astoria knew he was testing it for poison, and she held off on rolling her eyes. They still didn't trust them, even after Finn's sacrifice.

When she had the cup back in her hands, Lexa addressed the room. "Tonight we celebrate our newfound peace," she began, and Astoria watched her closely. As much distrust as she had for her people, she couldn't deny that Lexa was a fit ruler. She was just, and wanted to make peace as much as Clarke did. Not many Commander's of the past would have done such a thing. "Tomorrow, we plan our war," she raised her cup, nodding to Clarke. "To those we've lost, and to those we shall soon find."