13

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

—J. Robert Oppenheimer 

Astoria had never been intimate with someone like she was with Bellamy Blake.

The farthest she had gone with anyone was a kiss—but with Bellamy in her cave, and his hands on the bare skin above her ribs, she felt like she never wanted to leave. He kissed her like she was a drug he couldn't get enough of, and held her like her body was made from the finest porcelain.

He pulled her close overtop of her collection of stollen furs and blankets, and when he slowly pushed inside of her she gripped him tightly. The struggled moan she let out had made him shudder, and he leaned back to watch as she grew used to him. He was still inside her for much too long, but when she coaxed him to move he didn't need to be told twice.

Astoria was quick to grab his face in her hands, pulling him close to kiss him as he thrusted into her slowly. He nearly came when she first moaned his name over his lips, the low Bellamy making him shiver. But he had never felt so close to her, and he wanted to make it last as long as he could. When she arched her back in ecstasy, eyebrows scrunched and mouth hung open slightly, Bellamy was sure he would never recover.

He followed soon after, pulling out of her and bringing a low groan from her lips. He came over the inside of her leg, and Astoria had her head leaned back into the furs with her curly hair sprawled out beneath her. He watched her for a long moment, memorising each line of her face and wondering how he could have ever seen her as anything but angelic.

They remained intertwined for much too long—neither of them wanting to move and end the moment. Astoria because she knew once she got to her feet and dressed herself, she would never be able to allow the intimate affair to happen again. Bellamy because he knew, despite how much he wished it wasn't the case, that it meant much more to him than it had to her.

When Astoria sat up, Bellamy keep his hand on her hip until she rose to her feet and his fingers danced over her skin as they fell to the blankets. He frowned as he watched her dress, but eventually he stood and did the same. She waited in silence for a moment after she was fully clothed, and when she turned to face him her mouth was open to speak. Bellamy was sure it was going to be something he didn't want to hear, when...

Boom! An explosion sounded from outside. Astoria jolted slightly, but quickly rushed to watch the large orange cloud engulf the sky a few miles away. Bellamy was standing beside her in an instant, pulling his shirt over his head as he stilled at the sight before him. "The exodus ship," his words brought clarity to Astoria. The Ark was sending a group of adults and officials down to the ground, but their arrival was supposed to be days away.

And Clarke's mother was supposed to be on the ship.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

The smell of death lingered in the air as Astoria moved around the wreckage of the exodus ship. It had been two days since it crashed, and only now was it safe enough for the small group to explore its remains.