Chapter 6

Yeji

"So what did you say??"

They were coming back in from a leisurely walk on the beach when Yeji casually dropped the news to Yuna and Chaeryeong. The other group was in a massage session so it was the perfect timing to get some input from her two best friends.

"Well... I said I'll think about it."

Yuna's eyes were still wild with shock when Chaeryeong started asking for more details.

"I couldn't believe she did that... they are known to have a reputation, after all. You ,of all people, are aware of that, Yeji-ah."

Yeji just nodded.

Despite having lived inside the campus for three years, she isn't one to listen or entertain news and gossip circulating around the university. Students would go out of their way to be updated – with their insatiable appetite for the latest tidbits and their inability to keep things to themselves. Always rushing towards someone or something, can't keep their mouths shut, huddling at corners and eagerly posting reactions on social media. It's all too tiring.

The feline eye could only ever tolerate the ones that her best friends would share, which would almost always revolve around news about academics and new professors. Except for the chunks that they deliberately obtained when Yeji started befriending Ryuin. And this goes across her friend group, too.

"So you know... be careful."

Chaeryeong added.

"I know, Yeongie. I'm just as surprised as you are."

"But do you... want to go out on a date with her?" It was Yuna's turn to ask.

Yeji paused.

Thinking about it, Yeji has never thought of committing and has never pictured herself in a romantic relationship. She would always say that she values her independence too much – and she does. For the longest time since she was a kid, she has always been alright with being on her own. Maybe one or two friends from class whom she can study or walk home with, but never anything whom she'll dedicate more than the standard attention and care towards a friend.

She has never felt the need to be involved in something that she's not required to, nor had the desire to fit in or meet a lot of new people – that's why she only ever had Chaeryeong and Yuna as her friends.

That is, until Ryujin weirdly came barging in her life and occupied the 3rd spot in her shortlist of companions.

The girl was different, for sure. Hanging out with her opened a lot of unexplored rooms in Yeji's box. And that's an exploration that the feline eye willingly submitted herself to.

When it comes to her friends, though... She hasn't made her mind up yet.

So when Minjeong asked her out on a date out of nowhere – she didn't really know what to do.

"I don't know. How could you be sure of these things, though? I wasn't even aware that she had been building it up to last night's invite." She looked at her friends for answers.

"Well, we're not the best at relationships. But it's pretty obvious, Yeji-ah. At least on her end, it was. She has been around a lot. Asks you about a lot of things, even sends you several funny memes and videos everyday, and comes by our department to say hi and all that."