Chapter 26

Ryujin

She already knew she fumbled real bad, but she had developed a different level of understanding when she saw how the feline eye flinched and recoiled at the library.

She was a little relieved after Yeji's approval when she asked to sit with her in the library, but she must've pushed her luck too far when she invited her for dinner. She was too impatient.

"Stupid fvcking invite"

She whispered to herself as she tossed and turned in bed.

On the following days, she didn't see Yeji. Aside from her absence in the library, Ryujin made sure not to cross paths with her and invade her space. She figured the feline eye would need a bit more time and space away from her.

So in the succeeding weeks, Ryujin did her best to stay away. There are days when she would run into her, and they both would offer kind courteous nods and small smiles. And she was able to live off of it.

However, there are days when it would be so difficult, she literally had to lock her phone away in her car in the garage to stop herself from reaching out to Yeji. Nights are harder when she's left alone and has no choice but to be left alone with her thoughts.

It was a month and a half after their last library encounter when she ran into Yeji again.

Ryujin was in the line to buy a lemonade near campus when she saw a familiar person who stopped in front of the small shop – hands on her knees and breathing heavily. By the looks of it, she just came back from a run.

Since when did she start running?

She thought to herself as she smiled lightly. It was a cute sight.

To her surprise, the feline eye headed straight towards the door and it only took a split second before the latter spotted her.

Yeji halted, obviously taken aback to see her.

Here we go again. Ryujin thought as she kept her head down.

A few minutes later, she felt a soft tap on her arm.

"Hey."

She turned and saw a smiling Yeji. She went mum for a couple of seconds before finding her voice.

"H-hi."

"I really don't want to bother you, but the line is a bit long and I'm really thirsty", Yeji said after a quick pause.

"Would it be okay to have my order purchased with yours?"

Ryujin glanced at the back and saw that she had about five more people behind her. If she's being honest, she would take Yeji's order even if it meant staying in the line longer than the girl at the end, but she needed a quick excuse to gather herself and not get lost in the eye contact.

"Sure, I got it." She smiled towards the feline eye.

"I will be waiting by the table near the window, is that alright?"

Ryujin just nodded.

Upon claiming their order, Ryujin walked towards the tables by the window and surely, Yeji was at the far end, waiting patiently as she stared outside. The brunette had to pause and appreciate the view. It's bittersweet seeing the feline eye waiting for her at their table – it makes her smile as the scene is something that she would have only imagined, but it also comes with the ache that she might actually not get to experience it for real.

She erased her sad smile and walked towards her. Yeji shifted and directed her eyes towards Ryujin, smiled and scooted to her seat a little – as if she's creating space for the brunette to sit on.

"Thank you. I didn't know running could be this troublesome." The feline eye remarked as she was getting her drink.

Ryujin chuckled and proceeded to poke a hole in her drink – not moving an inch to where she was standing.

"I'm planning to stay here and rest. Are you... gonna head out?"

The brunette paused, not knowing what to say. She was initially planning to buy a drink and drive to Yongsan for a walk, but she suddenly couldn't move her feet.

"You can stay here. If you want."

Yeji broke the silence.

"It would be good to catch up."

Ryujin didn't hesitate and proceeded to sit in front of her, so that they're facing each other.

"Y-yeah. That would be nice."

They sipped their drinks in peace, only engaging in small talks. Ryujin was a little more careful in avoiding any triggers, so she decided to stay quiet for most of the conversation. Instead, she took her time to observe the girl in front of her. She looked a lot more relaxed than the last time she saw her. Her hair, although stayed the same length, has now a tinge of pink highlights on one side of it. Even her smile seemed to be brighter. Still not as vibrant as before, but brighter.

An hour later, they kept on with the conversation – drinks all gone and so was the sun.

Not long after, Yeji started to gather her things.

"I didn't notice the time." She remarked. "It was nice running into you here, Ryujin-ah."

Ryujin didn't want the afternoon to end. Not yet.

She agreed and grabbed her keys and wallet from the table.

"Are you walking back to your dorm?"

"Yes. No other plans tonight but to rest these legs. I'll see you around?"

Yeji started walking away.

Not even two steps away when Ryujin spoke up.

"Let me walk you back."

The feline eye halted and turned towards her.

"It's late. And I'm going the same way, too. I parked my car inside the campus."

She expected the same rejection as last time.

But to her surprise, Yeji just nodded. Nothing else but a single nod.

She scrambled to catch up to her and hid the deep breath that she just took.

"Okay." She whispered to herself as she fell into stride with Yeji.

"Okay."