Chapter 27

Yeji

She has read a lot about it in books and have seen a lot of movies telling her the same exact things. But not until she was in the moment that she realized that time does do you a lot of wonders – including healing.

She's aware that she hasn't achieved it yet, but she was proud that she kept her composure during the whole conversation in the shop. Gone was the instinct to run away and go in a different direction whenever she catches a glimpse of the brunette from a distance. Instead, she felt like it was possible – for their friendship to be rebuilt.

She could tell that the other girl was being careful and she appreciated that a lot. But it has been far too many dreams and late nights going over what has gone wrong, and she chose to finally strip herself of this torture when the opportunity came.

I'm already hurting anyway, right? So why not go all the way.

She told herself when she accepted Ryujin's invitation to walk her back.

And so here they are, walking side by side with a defined distance between them.

"Have you been well?" Ryujin asked halfway through.

"Uh-huh. I've been running recently. It kind of helps me with sleeping."

"Yeah, I was actually wondering if you had joined the track team or something."

This made Yeji laugh. "I'm pretty sure their training routine would make me cry everyday."

Ryujin laughs in amusement.

They exchanged a few more banters until they reached Yeji's unit.

The brunette quickly moved out of the way and put some distance between her and the door.

"Thank you for walking me home."

They both paused – not saying anything else, not moving an inch either.

After a few seconds of eye contact, Ryujin broke the silence.

"I... I would really love to see you again. Hang out. Only if you're okay with that, of course."

Yeji smiled at her softly.

"That would be nice."

This brought an instant smile to Ryujin's face.

"Meet you at the library?"

"Alright."

"Alright."

They said their goodbyes and Ryujin went on to walk towards her car.

A couple of days later, they found themselves seated on their table. Yeji didn' have anything to study and only has a minor paper to write – which she used as an excuse to be at the library.

Ryujin, on the other hand, was cramming to study the last few chapters for an important quiz happening in a couple of hours. She has been scratching her head and clicking her tongue every few minutes.

Yeji did her best not to laugh at the brunette – not because her situation was funny, but because it was an amusing sight to see. This cool and collected aura goes away whenever there's an exam or a hard project involved.

She waited a few more minutes before interfering.

She placed her hand on top of the brunette's notebook to get her attention.