Chapter 12

Yeji

The next time she saw Ryujin was at school.

After their very personal conversation the morning of the incident, Yeji busied herself with pre-term preparations after finding out that three out of her four major subjects will have post-exams.

Ryujin, on the other hand, remained laid back and would only send Yeji messages asking about her remaining minor subject for the next semester. In between, she would send subtle reminders about taking breaks in between her pre-term prep, eating on time, and what-not. Something that she hasn't really done before.

Yeji had no complaints, though, so she didn't really question it.

But what she doesn't understand is the sudden flutter in her stomach when she saw the smiling Ryujin walking towards her at school on their first day back.

"I was almost worried that you'll arrive late. Very uncharacteristic of you." The brunette remarked jokingly.

Yeji flashed her a smile and continued walking towards her classroom.

"So... has my secret plan of finally luring you into Engineering worked?" She joked back.

"Well if it's you that I'll be seeing everyday, I might reconsider." Ryujin said casually as Yeji tried her best not to turn beet red.

She has always been this playful, right? She thought to herself as she halted in front of the classroom's door.

"So?"

"Oh, yeah. Forgot that I totally have a valid reason for following you to your classroom." The brunette laughed nervously as she pulled out a small box from her pocket.

She handed Yeji the box and began to walk away.

"Saw this the other day and it reminded me of you."

Ryujin remarked, her back on Yeji as she started to stride away – not giving the latter any chance to say anything.

She tucked the box inside her bag and made her way through her seat, not missing the subtle remark from one of her classmates – your girlfriend looks nice.

If not for her natural composure and the years of staying calm amidst anything, she would've missed a step and confronted the girl on how ridiculous the assumption was. Instead, she only nodded in acknowledgment and kept on walking.

Girlfriend? Do we look like-

She immediately erased the thoughts in her mind and opened her notes to review.

They were sitting on their usual lunch table when Yeji remembered the box given by Ryujin that morning. She casually pulled the box out and began opening it – oblivious to the questioning stare from her two best friends.

The box wasn't wrapped in anything and was only sealed by a masking tape that was haphazardly placed there to prevent whatever's inside from falling out.

She removed the lid to reveal a web of what looked like a rose gold chain. She lifted it and saw a small pendant dangling  from the chain – a miniature 2D cloud with a peeking rainbow on the side.

After about a minute of untangling the chain, she held up the necklace and placed it around her neck – an instant smile formed on her face. She didn't quite understand what Ryujin meant when she said she reminded her of it, but it felt good to wear it, anyway.

It must be her way of thanking me for the other night. She convinced herself.

It wasn't very Ryujin-like to pick up a gift for her, especially without a specific reason. She has always been vocal in thanking Yeji for saving her during all those nights, and for helping her out in some of her subjects, but she's never one to give gifts.

So she appreciated it a lot more with that fact in mind.

She was tapped out of her own bubble when Yuna feigned a cough.

"Is our Yeji... smiling?" Chaeryeong teased.

"Who gave this to you?" She continued. "You're out here breaking hearts, I see. Someone's already wooing you after rejecting Minjeong, huh?"

"Wha- No, Ryeongie. It isn't like that. A friend gave it to me." She let out the last part in a whisper.

She didn't want other people to take the Minjeong incident lightly. But she knew that her friends already knew that.

"Ahhh. So Ryujin really has that decent side, I see."

She didn't even question why they knew it was Ryujin right away – she doesn't really have any other friends, after all.

Yeji only nodded – afraid that she'll say something she'll have to explain. Or worse, regret.

Lunch break ended and they started to walk towards their classrooms. Clueless about the hushed whispers from her two best friends, Yeji continued to walk as she unconsciously played with the pendant hanging on her neck.

She couldn't help the growing flutters in her stomach everytime she remembers how Ryujin softly said that she reminds her of it. She made a mental note to ask her about that next time.