Chapter 15

Ryujin

Yeji hasn't been in her usual spot in the library for several days now.

Because of all the times that they'd hung out and walked home together during the past month, Ryujin thought that they already had a silent understanding.

I must've read too much into it. She thought to herself.

The texts continued, though. They're still exchanging memes and random discoveries they found online. But it just isn't the same, and everyday, she found herself craving the other girl's presence more. She just didn't want to be too obvious about it.

So for the afternoon, she decided to take a walk around the shops at the back of the campus.

She ended up choosing a small coffee shop that looked like a perfect place to enjoy some peace and quiet.

When she entered the door, she was surprised to see the feline eye leaning against the counter – laughing with the barista who's handing her the coffee.

She found herself smiling. Her first thought was how adorable Yeji looked and that she missed that laugh, despite it being only three days since she heard it.

Her smile faded when she realized that they're both walking towards a table – Yeji's drink in the barista's hand who sat directly across her as if they've been doing it like a habit.

So she's been coming here... that's why she isn't in the library recently.

She slowly retreated and walked back outside.

As much as she's happy with the fact that Yeji's branching out more... she couldn't help but suspect that every new friend has some sort of hidden motive with the feline eye. That's what happened with Minjeong, after all.

Or is this new person more than a friend?

She kept on walking with no specific direction as she thought of the possibilities over and over again.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice that the traffic light had turned red as she was walking to cross the street.

Several cars passed the lane in front of her as she caught a flash of metallic silver in her periphery. She was brought out of her trance as she heard a loud voice telling her to "look out!".

Just in time, her adrenaline kicked in and she was able to latch herself out of the highway and into the pavement.

It took her a minute to gather herself and stand up – feeling a slight buzz in her ear, her heart pounding like crazy as if it's about to fall on the ground.

"Shit."

She whispered to herself as she heard footsteps from behind her.

"Are you okay?"

The same stranger who shook her from her trance earlier.

"I-Yes. Thank you."

She bowed to express her gratitude.

When she looked up, she saw a girl about her age with shoulder-length hair and a pair of calm eyes. The girl smiled at her and nodded.

"You better be careful next time. And..."

She paused.

"Whatever it is that got you thinking and walking into a red light unconsciously... I hope they're worth it. Be more mindful from here on. Aight?"