7

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

Four Weeks Later

─── ♔♔♔ ───

I stare at the messages he's sent in the last half an hour while I was in the scan room. First, it started as a friendly message exchange three days ago. Kai sent money through the front door a week ago after messaging me he would. No visit, no face-to-face conversation. With the money, I booked a private scan and invited him to come along, but he messaged back to decline. Now I'm eight weeks, there's something to see, and luckily, everything is all good.

That was three days ago. I've had three messages in the past half an hour from Kai: 'Let me know how it's gone. I don't want photos. Just let me know it's all okay.' Followed by, 'I need to see you, asap. Please let me know when I can drop by.' And finally, 'Peach, I need to see you today.'

Clearly, something has happened, and it seems serious. Maybe he's decided he wants to be involved, or something. But whatever it is, all I know is in the last four weeks, Kai's been photographed going around, getting drunk, being seen with various questionable celebrities at parties and basically showing up the royal family. He's been all over the news channels, in the newspapers, on social media.

"You okay, sis?" Patrick asks as we reach the hospital's main entrance.

I nod. "Yeah, just... this is ominous, right?" He reads the messages. "Maybe I'm looking too much into things, but this coupled with the social media photos and everything, I don't know."

He grabs me into his hold and kisses my hair. "Everything's going to be fine, all right? Your baby – or little Seahorse Kennedy, as I call it – is doing well in there, and you're doing amazing. Whatever this is about, you got this. And by the way, thank you for letting me in. Seeing that as a med student is one thing, but seeing your little niece or nephew is, well, it's amazing."

I grip his scrubs. "Something is giving me bad vibes. I just can't tell what it is."

Patrick lets me go and runs a hand through his light brown hair. His green eyes shine with comfort as they search mine. "You've got us, Little Sis, all right? Hm, now I have a nickname for you. Your baby is called Fry – that's what a baby seahorse is called. You're Seahorse."

I snort. "You're going to call me Seahorse?"

Patrick nods and grins. "Right, I need to get back to my shift. Will you be okay?"

"Of course I will be. Apparently, I have a visitor soon this afternoon, so I don't know."

"You need me, you call me. I'll work something out."

I roll my eyes. "Not if you wanna complete your medicine degree, you don't. Dad is at home, anyway, doing his baking and whatever."

Patrick laughs. "He's determined to make a business out of it. More power to him if he manages it. His cakes are damn good."