33

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

A Week Later

─── ♔♔♔ ───

Lying in this hospital bed, finally not pregnant anymore, with Kai to my right, holding our baby girl, and not being hounded by photographers or the media, or anything else is like heaven. Since the wedding a week ago, we spent two nights in Bath, but the media found out and photos of our holiday are all over the internet. We had to go out via the backstreets and in disguises to do anything. Right now, we're in a private room in the local Windsor hospital. It's like a whole bloody studio apartment in here. There's a whole en-suite with bath, shower, toilet and vanity. The room itself has two sofas, comfortable leather armchairs, and a movable cot, and the hospital I'm in is actually comfortable. This is a far cry from the NHS wards, for sure.

Right now, it's our little bubble and I'm perfectly okay with it. The press was alerted when I went into labour around twelve hours ago. We haven't yet made an official announcement, but I know any second now, the palace will put it out, and within three hours, I'll have to be dressed up, with makeup, and heels on and go out to show the world our little baby girl.

But for now, it's just the three of us in this little room, and as she yawns and goes back to sleep on Kai, I relish this little bit of peace.

"She's so perfect, Peach," Kai says. The smile hasn't come off his face since she came out, loud crying and everything. The silver of his wedding ring glints in the light and I realise that I can't be happier than in this exact moment.

"We should name her Peach," I joke.

He raises his eyebrows. "No, that's your name only."

I chuckle as my phone buzzes. My dad, letting me know the three of them are at the cottage, getting everything ready for when we come home. The three of them are making use of the small cottage the king and queen have basically gifted them now for when they stay. Dad and Annie are staying for a week or two so they can both spend time with us and also help with settling in with a baby. Patrick is still finishing up his degree, so he'll be in and out, but he has the next day or two off to meet his niece.

Kai's phone goes off. He nods at me, so I pick it up and show him. "The palace put the notice up. Cue the entire world going nuts. We'll have to get ready and go and meet the people soon, too."

I groan. "Kai, I'm still bleeding, and my stomach and... I feel gross."

He smiles sympathetically. "I know. It's the rules. What we'll do is give you a shower, and get you feeling a bit fresher. If you really feel rough, I will go out myself, all right? But it's sort of expected, so if you can, the people would love it, you know?"