29

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

Three Months Later

─── ♔♔♔ ───

A Buckingham Palace reception is something I used to wonder a lot about. You'd hear on the news a lot about garden parties and state banquets, but you'd never know what receptions are. They always sound like a wedding reception or something, but you could never find much about them. Before we came in this morning, Kai told me that it's basically the same as a garden party, but much busier. Some receptions can be much more intimate and involve lunch or dinner, but this one is just a basic meet and greet with drinks and canapes to celebrate a lot of NHS workers who were invited a few months ago.

I'm currently dressed in a deep blue dress with a pencil skirt at the bottom, black high heels, and a selection of diamond jewellery. Members of the royal family are given sashes so people can tell them apart. As the new Prince of Wales, Kai is given a deep blue one with the other colours of the Union Jack on show, but to a lesser extent. A few of Kai's cousins are also here as dukes and duchesses. I never expected to be included in sash-giving, as I'm not legally a part of the family yet, but I was given one to match Kai's. When I questioned it, apparently it's because although I'm not legally in the family yet, I will be in two months, and I'm carrying a royal child, so they consider me part of the family.

"How're you doing, Peach?" Kai whispers as he passes. "You look tired."

I nod. "I'm okay, just feeling a bit under the weather."

"Just give me the nod if you need to go, okay? We have bedrooms here, don't forget." He touches the small of my back and gives me a sort of side cuddle.

"It's fine, honestly." I squeeze his arm. "Anyway, I feel pretty at home with all these people. Nurses, doctors, physios. Makes me kind of miss it."

He sips his drink. "I wonder if we hadn't got together, you'd be standing here as a visitor. If you were, I'd have met your eyes across the room and scooped you up."

I arch an eyebrow and smile. "Who says you would've done that? We could've been together already in this parallel universe."

"Fair point. Let's just say in every universe there ever is, we'd find each other and be together. But personally, I like this one the best."

"You're way too smooth for your own good, Prince Kai."

"Only for you, Princess Peach."

I laugh and shake my head before reluctantly moving around more guests.

"Mila?"

I look up and instantly break out the biggest smile I think I've ever felt. Gemma stands there in a long, purple dress with her hair done up in an updo.