Chapter 22

It was supposed to be a good day, supposed to be full of laughter and smiles. It was supposed to be them enjoying each other’s presence. It’s a sunny day after all, the sun shining so bright above them. Almost blinding each of them. There’s no evidence of rain, of thunder, of storm.

So, Freen isn’t sure why they are suddenly crying.

She just got out of the hospital a week ago, and her friends decided to have a short get away trip. They should be already on their way to the nearest park; they already have their food basket loaded at the car’s trunk. They are already prepared to leave; the blankets are already on the backseat.

It was supposed to be one of those good days.

One of her best days.

But how come everyone is suddenly crying?

This is not part of the plan.

Never would be.

It’s not on their plan to rush to the hospital.

No.

Not today.

Not yet.

But as they approached the damn metal doors, everything suddenly made sense.

Her girlfriend.

The woman of her dreams.

The love of her life.

Her Becky.

Becky.

Right, Becky.

Becky was supposed to be with them.

Not inside that room.

She should be hugging Freen now.

Raining her with kisses.

No.

Not this.

“Where is she?” She tried her best to get the words out of her mouth, “Mind, where’s Becky?”

Mind looked up from Noey’s chest, eyes red with tears, “Freen…” she sobbed, hands clenching tight on Noey’s shirt, “Freen, she is still inside. We─ still don’t know what’s happening.”

Her eyes search for something, something familiar, something that would make everything a bit bearable, but she found none. Her friends, their friends are all crying, bawling their eyes out.

“We’re already on our way to your place,” Irin mumbled quietly, staring into nothing, eyes losing its focus, “We were already on our way to meet you. Then, she─ she just gasped. She was gasping for air. She didn’t want to go here, because she wanted to be with you.” And tears silently fell from her eyes.

Love immediately cuddled the girl into her arms, rubbing her hands at the woman’s back, trying her best to calm the girl down.

Freen felt her knees wobble, her chest suddenly felt heavy. As if her heart’s being squeezed tightly.

“She’ll be fine, right?”

She asked, but no one could really answer as they are still waiting for anything. Just for something about the girl’s condition.

She has to be fine.

Becky will be fine.

She needs to.

“Freen.”

And like the world hates her, the familiar husky, cold voice spoke from a distance. She didn’t want to look up, because of she did, it’s close to zero that she would be able to see her Becky again.