𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫 | the mayor's meeting

"HEY, Chat..." Ladybug said, approaching the somewhat sad-looking cat who was sitting on the edge of their usual spot.

"Oh," Chat Noir responded, avoiding Ladybug's gaze, "Hi."

He seemed sort of embarrassed, or closed off. Ladybug understood why, of course.

The cat wasn't feeling too great, for obvious reasons. It had only been a couple of days since the wedding and things felt different. He wasn't waking up to Marinette's text every morning, or staying up late on calls with her. He didn't feel a need to try his best, or put on the best face. He half-understood the reason as to why Marinette broke off their friendship but was also greatly confused.

On the inside, Ladybug was feeling crummy. She didn't want to "dump" Adrien, of course, but it was the only way. She knew that things were getting complicated, and she couldn't take the risk of their love being the reason for their defeat. Plus with Adrien's father being released, she felt more uneasy than ever.

But, she smiled.

"So, uh, how's your day been? Doing anything fun later?" Ladybug asked, giving encouraging eyes.

"Nope." Chat responded, "Just relaxing, I guess."

Ladybug's heart broke. She couldn't bear to see her partner like this. A partner that had always been more, and could've stayed more if not for a certain villain lurking around.

"That's great."

The two just sat there for a bit, completely forgetting about their patrol duties and watching people go through their everyday lives. They were about a foot or two away from each other, and they stayed in silence.

•★★★•

Adrien walks over to the television and picks up the remote, turning on the TV. It lands on some random news channel and he decides to keep it that way, sort of being in a rush and not having time to hand-select the channel for today.

He returns to where he was before, in front of his tall, narrow mirror and starts to button up his shirt. He's tuning most of the news out until a certain headline catches his attention.

"Here we are at Fleury-Mérogis Prison, where former fashion designer Gabriel Agreste, also known as Hawk Moth, is being released today on good behavior."

Adrien whips his head to the right, glancing at the TV and squinting his eyes. He walks over there and stares as the news continues on.

"Oh, here he is!" The camera moves closer to the prison building and out comes Gabriel, "Mr. Agreste, how does it feel to be free again? Have you changed, and what is your plan for the future?"

Gabriel is seen ignoring the cameras and just continues to make his way to the car alongside two police officers. Adrien scoffs and shuts down the TV, walking back over to the mirror and continuing to get ready.

Once he feels content with his appearance, having combed his hair and adjusting his clothes multiple times, he grabs his bag (which holds Plagg) and leaves the house.

During the car ride, Plagg pops his head out of the bag, "Are you sure this is gonna work?"

Adrien sighs, "Well, this is our best shot. You got any other ideas?"

"No.." Plagg munches on some camembert and disappears back into the bag.

The car then comes to a stop when it's parked right outside Café de Paris. Adrien grabs the bag once again and opens the car door, heading out and into the cafe.

"Ah, Adrien!" Abrielle exclaims, rushing towards the door and embracing Adrien.

"Abrielle," Adrien smiles, hugging her back, but looking clearly down.