Becoming A Monster Dog

I've been comforting Rory in the middle of the night since she saved my life and moved me into her townhouse to be her roommate. The nightmares that consume her also terrify me. I've had these visions since I turned sixteen. Each time I rushed into her room in the middle of the night to her screaming, we would talk about our dreams.

That's when I realized they were all the same, just like they were with the other Furys. It's something our entire team bonded over.

I lost everything that night I was killed, but I also gained a more interesting life.

"Cutlass, do not engage that one. He is too strong for you to take on your own. That's an order! Do not engage!" Griffen is angry tonight. Not that I blame him. He just got his arm bit and ripped to shreds because of this Infernal.

I can stop him, though. I'm right here. I take my shot, shooting him in the chest once, twice, then once again in the forehead. He doesn't go down and the glow in his red eyes only gets brighter.

He is coming after me. I've got to move!

I take off running down the alleyway, only to be tackled to the ground. Before I realize it, pain radiates from my shoulder. I fight. I kick my legs. I buck my hips. I fail my arms. Anything to gain momentum, to uproot him and get him off me. I finally do, but then his clawed hand shoves through my chest cavity with strength only these creatures seem to possess. I'm spitting up blood. He hit something vital.

A woman yells.

No! Please leave! It will kill you! I can't get the warning out.

The Infernal listens, running in the opposite direction, away from her and towards my teammates. I blacked out for a moment.

When I wake, wherever I am now feels cold and sterile. I don't want to die. I can't die. I can't leave my brothers. Please, somebody, don't let me die.

"Damn it! He is going into cardiac arrest! Rory quickly!" I hear a man shouting. He must be trying to save me.

A jolt of electricity ricochets through my body. I take a breath.

"That was close," I heard a feminine whisper. "If you can hear me, you are going to die. There is not much we can do to save you. You were stabbed in the heart. You should be dead now. If you want to live, give me a sign."

I try everything to move some part, any part of my body. I guess I succeeded because the taste of copper mixed with cinnamon hits my throat. It tastes strangely good.

"Fuck! I can't believe I cut myself." The woman sounds disgusted with herself.

"Rory! Go get cleaned up. I'll finish here, then stitch your arm," the gruff man demands.

"Thanks, doc."

Then I blacked out once again. This time, I feel weightless as light as the wind instead of laden like my limbs are made of concrete.

When I wake up again, I don't know where I am. It's freezing cold. I feel around to find a white sheet over my body. There were no clothes on me or weapons. I open my eyes to find that I'm surrounded by dead bodies.

What? The? Fuck? I'm in the morgue! Okay. Okay, there is no time to freak out. The first thing first is to find clothes.

I wrap myself in the surrounding sheet. Suddenly a short fire-engine-red-haired woman comes running in the door I'm exiting out of. She screams for a second, and then she looks apologetic.

"I'm so sorry they put you here in the morgue. But I couldn't explain why you were still alive without a pulse. I just knew it was because of my blood. I saw you in a dream and saw that my blood would save you. I can't explain it." She is rambling, but I had that dream.