Joystick

Rory

It's strange not having Finley around. I miss my fun hellhound, but that doesn't mean I can not have fun without him. I find Avery and Kage in the TV room playing Mortal Combat. Heck yes! My favorite!

"Hey, beautiful. Do you want to come grab hold of my joystick?" Kage purrs in that husky voice of his. Avery cringes at his comment, which has me letting out a very undignified snort.

"If you mean your dick, I don't know you well enough yet." I move behind the couch, leaning between the two men. I'm just barely a few inches from Kage's face. I drop my voice to my husky tone, "If you mean your game controller," I yank it from his hands, then climb over the couch, "then hell yes! Scoot over so I can kick both your asses!"

They make room so I can drop down between them both. They chuckled, but I wasn't lying. They are going down.

"Damn, belle femme! You are one hell of a button pusher." Avery laughs as I destroy Kage for the tenth round. "I think you are even worse about it than Griff. He cheats the same way."

Avery is grinning from ear to ear. He is so handsome and very charming. It's no wonder he gets the ladies. His auburn hair has a slight wave to it. He has a short, neat, kept beard on his angular face. Tattoos creep down his neck, disappearing under his t-shirt. In both ears, he has diamond studs. He has this boy-next-door vibe to him that Kage does not possess.

Kage has one piercing in his eyebrow, his ears have tunnel gages in them, and he has a snake bite lip piercing. He has tattoos of koi on his forearms and a mural on his back. But that's all that I've seen so far. He has that bad-boy vibe to him. Kage is dangerous, and Avery is safe.

The thing is, knowing that they're mercenaries colors things a little for me. These two are both just as dangerous as Finley, maybe more so. We've come across some man-made Infernals, as though they are drawn to the two of us. We had to fight them off. Watching Finley kill them and some horrible people drove home how deadly he is. If these guys are the ones who trained him, then they are even more lethal.

"That's it! I give up!" Kage tosses his controller gently onto the couch. He lays back against the couch in exasperation. "You win, beautiful. We'll get your controllers and your coffee mug. I wouldn't be surprised if Griff brings you one back." Kage winks at me, but I scoff. Mr. Stone Cold will not do that. Finley might, though.

"You think Griff is cold and unfeeling, don't you?" Avery asks. I see no point in lying, so I nod my head yes. "He isn't. He appears that way on the outside, but Griff cares more about us than he shows or the outside."

"Griff-kun is secretly a worrywart. He frets over every single thing," Kage agrees.

Griffen is even more intriguing now. He is a mystery I want to unwrap, then see if he is a beast in bed. I want to make him show his emotions that I'm still not convinced he has.

Mercenaries are all psychopaths and sociopaths, right? They don't feel emotions to make the kills they are paid to carry out. They can't. Or am I wrong? I save lives as they nurse, and they take them.

Kage yawns, "Well, at any rate, I need to practice since I'm performing tonight." He stands stretching.

"The others should be back soon. If you make nice with Griff, he'll let you come see me. You can see exactly how I gather intel."

"Trust me, you don't want to see all his tricks, though. They will scar you for life," Avery says jokingly, but it doesn't come out that way.

Kage shrugs. "Whatever, Aves, at least I don't use sex as an escape from dealing with my issues. You're one step away from being a prostitute. All you have to do is charge for using your dick."