Koinu and Taiyo

Rory

As soon as we got Kage home, Griffen him up the stairs to his room next to mine and Finley's. I knew Griffen was strong, but he didn't look large enough to carry a 6'2" 195lb man without breaking a sweat. Kage isn't little. He is nothing but muscle that was honed by hours in gym and dancing.

Kage is coughing when I have Griffen sit him down on his bed. I removed his chucks while Finley got him propped up on pillows atop his forest green duvet. "If you two got him, I need to make sure Booker and Avery had everything for their trip to Louisiana. They'll only be gone a few days to help Carter get his new tech set up," he explains to Finley.

"We got him, Mano," Finley winks at him and he nods before leaving.

I want to break through that ice barricade of Griffen's. I have a feeling it's going to take more time for me to get him up than it will for the others. I don't mind because I enjoy a challenge.

I take my pink pulse-ox from my scrub pocket, turn it on, and place it on Kage's finger, relaxing his hand upon his thigh. 90%, not the best and his heart rate is elevated to 85bpm. All the coughing has me worried his lungs aren't getting enough oxygen as another fit takes hold, dropping his O2 stats further down into the mid-80s.

Just when I'm about to leave to hunt down an oxygen tank and tubing, Booker comes in with what I need. "Thank goodness!" I shouted, relieved at his arrival.

"He isn't doing well," Booker states, observing Kage who expelling more blood.

"No, he isn't. Fin and I were going to get him in the bath, but I need to get him on oxygen first."

Booker nods, wheeling the tank in with a clear bag of hoses. He places the tank beside the bed and hands me the bag. I set to work getting it all hooked up.

"I placed the supplies Ryder sent in the spare room with the metal cross on the door. It's where we keep the medical supplies," Booker explains.

I thanked him before slipping the nasal cannula into Kage's nose and tucking it behind his ears. I adjust it so that it's tight enough it won't come loose, but not tight enough to cut into his fair skin.

"I see why Ryder likes you. "You're efficient and professional while being friendly," Booker comments as I swing Kage's legs onto the bed before he can even process what I am doing.

"Probably. It also had to do with the fact I was not attracted to any of his family members. When I met them, they weren't married yet. I didn't blink an eye at the different men in Ali's bed. Nor at the two men climbing into and Ali sharing Tee's bed with him. I found it sweet and cute the way they all care for one another, with no thought of what other people assumed. Believe me, there was talk all around the hospital. So many rumors, but also a healthy amount of fear of Ryder. I treated him and his family just as I did all my patients, with kindness and respect. I know well who he was. I wasn't expecting a phone call two days later that made me their personal registered nurse."

Booker nods, taking in my long-winded explanation. He is a tremendous listener. I don't know what it is about him, but I want to tell him my whole life's story truthfully. There is a lot about my life I purposefully leave out because of the painful memories. I find myself wanting to talk about those with him. I'm unsure if that's a good thing or something I'm going to regret.

"Hola, Boo." Finley croons to Booker, leaning against the doorjamb with his long limbs crossed.

"This going to hurt," Kage rasps breathy.