Smell of Death

Kage

"I don't know how you have been able to dance with O2 stats this low," Dr. Ryder Fuchs-Jamison deadpans. "You passed out because of the lack of oxygen your lungs are getting. No more dancing."

"What?!" I growl. I instantly regretted doing that as I coughed so hard that I coughed up blood onto the bend of my elbow.

Rory comes out from the bathroom with a washcloth. She is wearing a set of scrubs with the anime Fin was watching on them. They are pink with men wearing uniforms but wielding Katanas. What was the name of that show?

Rory reaches out to wipe my face, but I flinch away from her. "Sorry. I was just going to wipe the blood off your chin." She holds the washcloth out to me.

I clear my throat and grab the cloth. I advert my eyes from her and wash my face and then my arm.

I hear the door click as I scrub. "What was that about?" Ryder queries. I shook my head at him, not wanting to answer. I should have known he wouldn't let me get away with that. "Listen to me closely. The fujoshi nurse is my favorite. Rory and Ali are close. Don't hurt our friend. Whatever is going on, fix it before you die."

"I'm dying?" That's the word I focus on.

"Stage 4 lung cancer. We can do chemo and immunotherapy to help prolong your life. Also, you need to talk to Slater about proper nutrition. You're malnourished and have lost more weight than you should have. How long have you gone not telling anyone about your symptoms? You don't seem shocked." Ryder's cold gray eyes scrutinize me closely.

"Two years. I've known for two years. If I told Griffen he would let me fight or dance, the two things I love the most." I coughed again after my explanation, further ruining my hospital gown.

"Bless your heart. Your elevator doesn't go to the top." I flinched at his backhanded insult and then coughed again.

When I'm able to breathe and not cough, I open my eyes to find Finley watching me with worry lines etched into his boyish face. "It's okay onii-san."

He glares at me for those words. "No está bien. Hueles a muerte." A sense of déjà vu hits me. I've heard those very words in my dream, only it was Duncan who said I smelled like death.

Rory enters behind him carrying a new gown.

"Rory can do chemotherapy at home. I'll bring it to her. We put your port in while you were sleeping. She is the best nurse I know." I frown at his high praise, tugging on the front of the gown, unsnapping it at the shoulders. I look down to find the chest port. "I'm not giving you an option. You WILL do chemo. That's an ORDER, soldier."

I HATE when he pulls rank to get his way. Ryder and Griffen are alike, reminding the rest of us where they are in the pecking order. On top, as leaders.

"Hermano, we want to have more years with you. For once, listen to the doctor. Don't fight us on this."

"We are going to take care of you. That's an order." Griffen's voice booms throughout the room with authority. "Rory will be your nurse, and you will listen to her and allow her to care for you from now on. Booker will help you run the club."

"Arson and JT both said they would come to help with that until Book gets used to it."

"Booker is okay with all this?"

"He offered when we drove you here. You're lucky Rory and Fin saw you collapse."

They saw me collapse? Does that mean the whole watching them portion wasn't a dream? I'm so confused.