Let's Do This

Rory hasn't been out of the house much since she came to live with us. I feel as though I have made our home her prison. It doesn't sit well with me. Today I'm making it my mission to get her out of the house. First coffee, then... we shall see.

I'm sitting on the couch when she walks down the stairs wearing a dark purple dress sleeveless dress that stops a few inches from her knees, on the front in a stripe down the center in a light shade, is a golden Chinese dragon flying down amongst the pale pink lotus blossoms with a lantern near the top to light the way. On her feet are baby pink low-top sneakers that match the lotus blossoms on her dress. Her hair is up in a ponytail with a gold ribbon and instead of bright red, it is now pink. She has done her makeup.

Wow...this woman is a vision.

I snap a picture of her paused on the stairs looking at me with wide hazel eyes.

I glance down at myself to figure out why she is gaping at me in surprise. It's hot out so I'm wearing a black ribbed tank with a sleeveless purple faux-leather vest that is the same shade as my eyes. I'm wearing dark blue jeans and the usual black combat boots. My prosthesis isn't showing.

I run a hand through my dark locks and then stand. I walk to her with my hand stretched out. Instead of taking it, she holds her phone and then shouts for Finley.

Finley bounds down the stairs with a light blue towel around his waist and his hair dripping wet, plastered on his face, obstructing his eyes that seem more noticeable honey-colored than usual. "I need you to take a picture of us before we leave. We accidentally match."

Oh, we are both wearing dark purple.

"Aye, que lástame mi girasol! I thought something was something was wrong. No hagas eso otra vez!" Finley chastises her, telling her not to do that again in exasperation. "Gimme your phone," he says calmly, and she hands it to him.

He slicks his hair back from his face. I notice it is still soapy when he does. "Alright Commander, I want you to get closer to Rory."

Instead of me moving, Rory comes to me at the foot of the stairs. She takes my arm and wraps it around her shoulders. The smell of cherry blossoms greets my nose with the movement. I'm instantly smiling, looking down at her.

This scent makes me miss Japan. Out of all the countries we visited, the Japanese countryside is where I would love to return to.

Japan caused dreams to surface during the Edo-period of the 1700s. I was the commander of the Shinsengumi army. I was a Ronin fighting a war with swords as the age of the way of samurai was coming to an end with the use of guns. My team and I were the last. We wore light-blue unlined haori to remind our troops that we swear to death that will fight for the most dignified moment before we die. Our signature color later became black, like it is now.

"You two have fun! I'll make sure Kage and Avery behave while you two are gone!" Finley chirps with a grin while waving

"No sex while I'm gone, Fin. Promise?" Rory counters pointedly.

I feel a tad awkward, but when I move to leave, she laces her fingers through mine, keeping my arm around her.

"Si mamasita, lo prometo," Finley promises, and Rory nods her head sharply at him.

"Shall we go?" Rory looks at me hopefully. I glance back at Finley, who is gesturing with his hands for me to go on.

I smile at her. "Let's go."

We walk out the door.

I hope she doesn't notice how uneven my gait is walking like this.

As soon as we are out the front gate, we adjust so that her hand rests in the crook of my elbow as we walk.

I notice her hand on my bicep as I open the door for her to enter first.

I might be a killer for hire, but my mother was a Southern woman who raised me with the manners of a gentleman.

We place our order and sit at a little table just outside the shop.

"Do you miss the Bay, or do you enjoy the trees of east Texas better?" I question her.

"How did you know I'm from Palomino Bay?" She counters.

"Finley said that's where you were originally from."

"I like it here better. There is more shade so I don't burn as easily," she replies to my first question. "So what are the plans for the day? Why did you want to get me out of that colossal house so bad? I still haven't explored it all, nor the giant backyard or that graveyard that butts up against it."

"Full of questions are we?" I chuckle at her with amusement.

"Yep! There more where those came from too," she says with sass.

I hum under my breath in thought.

"I thought you might feel like a prisoner. You haven't been out much, except to watch Kage and Booker dance and to the hospital," I tell her. "I was thinking you might enjoy some shopping?"

"I don't care for shopping all that much," she says wrinkling up her nose.

Our names are called for our drinks, so I leave to get them. When I sit back down I notice she has a frown on her face. I slide her coffee in front of her, but she is looking past me toward the street.

I go on alert. "What's wrong?" I ask her.

"The blonde guy who set my townhouse on fire was talking to me before you came back. He left quickly, wanting to avoid a fight with you."

"What did tell you?"

"That I'm his betrothed since birth." She scoffs, "That's so archaic." She tastes a sip of her coffee and then sighs. "I'm supposedly infernal royalty. I'm still learning what infernals even are."

"Booker has been doing some on that. He has been researching mythology and the occult to garner information. He has even been doing a dark web dive. He has determined that infernals are supernatural devils from various hell realms. Each demonic type falls under the Infernal umbrella, which includes vampires. He has determined that Fin is a hellhound. Because he is partially human but has infernal ancestry, he is considered a Cambion or mixed breed."

"Wow. Okay. That answers some of the infernal questions, mostly. Now about shopping..."

"There is a bookstore with a vast collection of manga. Across the street is a store dedicated to anime and imports from Japan. I thought you might at least like to go visit them."

I blinding smile lights her face. "You have been talking to Fin. Are you attempting to get to know me?"

"You caught me. This all to get on your good side," I wink at her.

She laughs. "Then let's spend the day together and learn more about one another...shall we?"

She stands holding her hand out to me just as I did to her, only this time, I take her hand instead of hollering for Finley.

"Let's do this, sunflower." I grin.