Chapter 5: Breaking the Law

James couldn't stop shaking, even in the morning sunlight that brightened the kitchen. Nole's parents were away for the weekend, leaving him and James alone. He was relieved it was daylight--that meant no monsters and no weird shadows. And no weird women sneaking into Nole's bedroom.

He reached for the cabinet knob and opened  it. The cereal bowls were resting in the cabinet, their bright yellow fixtures clung to the white exterior of the cabinet's insides. Nole was still asleep and James couldn't go back to sleep.

Nole's kitchen was huge, just like the rest of his house. The counter island lay in the middle of the room and the stove was tucked away behind it. The kitchen sink was across the island and the refrigerator was settled all the way in the opposite side of the room.

It's double doors glistened against the abundant light that shone through the large bay windows that were behind the sink.

The counters were marble, tan in color with bits of black and the paint in the kitchen was a pale yellow with flicks of dark red.

It was beautiful. James wished his kitchen looked like this. Part of him felt guilty--he admitted to himself several times that he would use every excuse to be over here. He hated his house.

His house looked nothing like Nole's. It was significantly smaller with a tiny kitchen and dimly lit rooms. He shared his small bedroom with his sister, who was five years younger then him.

His dad had skipped town when James was young and his mother had taken to drinking. Their family was barely clinging on. James had to take a job to help pay the bills. His mother was always on the couch, unable to function.

Their electricity shut off twice. Nole had no idea how lucky he was. Nole knew about James's homelife and James knew he felt bad--that's why he was always invited over. Or at least that's what James thought.

The ceiling of Nole's kitchen was carved mahogany and bright lights clung to it. The dining room table was a few feet away from the island, it's large table stuck out the most in the room.

The chandelier dazzled against the sunlight and the rug beneath the table was so pristine James didn't think it was even real. Chairs lined each side of the table, a rich red and gold--their cushions looked like clouds.

The fireplace was near the dining room, its stone structure hovered above the two leather armchairs and "L" shaped couch.

Two-hundred dollars lay resting on the marble island, in the fruit basket that was filled with everything you could ever want.

A sticky note lay on top of the cash with what looked like a smiling face scrawled on it. James imagined the note said something about having a nice weekend, here you go. Go see a movie

There were days where James would go hungry, a small sacrifice to feed his little sister. Sometimes he wished his mother would just disappear from existence. Disappear from their lives forever. They were better off without her. Gone for good.

She would always make false promises.

I promise I'll get better. I promise I'll  get help...I'll promise...

It was all false advertising. Every time James thought his mother would "get better" she would always get worse.

He walked over to where the fridge doors were and swung them open. He gazed at the bountiful beauty--the plentiful feast in front of him.

So. Much. Food.

Everything you could ever want and James wanted all of it. He wouldn't be selfish, no. He would only take what he needed. Candy, soda, juice, sandwiches, fruits. His mouth watered at the expense.