Chapter 9: Pranks Aren't Funny James

James was in perfect view of Ethan and Cassedee. He was crouched down in the corner, the flashlight and mirror in hand. This was going to be the best prank ever.

Ethan glanced over in his direction and made eye contact. This was his signal to move. He raised the mirror and held the flashlight to it. He couldn't help but chuckle to himself. She was going to be so scared.

Part of him felt guilty for doing it, but Ethan thought it would be a funny way of introducing her to their group. He remembers what Ethan had said, think of it as an initiation. Sort of like an induction into  an award ceremony. 

This was a pretty twisted way of introducing someone to their friend group, Ethan.

Yeah but...

James sat in silence, trying to muffle the chuckles that would soon turn into full blown laughs from the two of them.

He watched as Cassedee screamed and Ethan on cue, backed away into the corner--imitating what James had heard come from the camera when Nole had disappeared.

He waited a few moments before exiting his hiding spot.

Then, the light stopped and James held up the flashlight and mirror.

"Cassedee! It's okay, it's just a prank."

Cassedee's screams muffled now as she realized what was going on. Her expression was a mix of confusion and shock. Her eyes started to narrow as she grasped what had just happened.

"I can't believe you two--how stupid are you guys--you--you."

She could barely finish her sentence as a fit of laughing came directly from Ethan.

"Man, you should've seen your face. Especially when I started talking all weird and stuff."

Caseedee looked furious. Her eyes were cold now and she clenched her fists at her sides.

"I really hope you two learn your lesson sooner or later. You guys seriously could've done something to me. Something could've happened." She said the last words coolly. 

Ethan rolled his eyes and began walking towards her.

"Oh, you're just being dramatic. You're the new person in town. We wanted to scare you, especially with all the things that had been happening. And the rumor that has been going around. The one we told you about. Anyways, nothing happened and we didn't press the button on the camera or speak to it or anything. We're fine."

James considered this. What if they weren't fine, what if they accidentally brought themselves back to 1956. What if they were trapped in the same world as Nole. What if they never found him.

What if this was all just  a waste of time.

James felt guilty all of a sudden. Why did he listen to Ethan. Why did he think this was a good idea. Cassedee was right--something could have happened to them. This camera seemed too sensitive and too powerful to mess around, even if they weren't doing it to the camera directly.

Cassedee slumped down in the desk chair, which squeaked with her movement.

She folded her hands with each other, placing them on the surface of the desk.

"I am going to be mad at you guys for a while, I hope you know that. That was not funny." she said with a stern tone. "It really wasn't and I'm being serious. We shouldn't be messing around like that, especially with that weird camera and everything."

Ethan shrugged. "Well, whatever happens, happens I guess."

Cassedee shot him a look.

"Seriously. We could disappear, too. We don't know how this thing works and I don't want to get stuck somewhere. Or evaporate into thin air like the rest of them." She glanced at the case files that now lay on top of the tables in front of her.