Chapter 17

Cassedee hesitated before looking up. She knew exactly who it was but he seemed different almost like he was another person. Cassedee didn't understand--how could he go from being so sweet to being so vile.

She could feel her eyes move up toward the face of the person standing before her. Black smoke swirled around his feet almost as if he were standing on two clouds. Then the voice spoke again.

"What are you waiting for? Get up." the tone was indignant. And sharp.

Cassedee lifted her head up to meet the eyes of the person who was there. She squinted against the blazing sun now casting a shadow all over their face.

James.

Cassedee moved her hand over to where her forehead was to shield her eyes from the sun's blaze.

Who was James and what happened to the other version?

Cassedee forced herself up and was greeted by James's intense stare. His arms were folded and he had a stern look on his face. He looked like a wild man.

She checked herself out first, making sure that she wasn't seriously injured. The pain she had on her wing seemed to disappear.

Cassedee smiled at him, unsure of how he would react to it. He gave her a blank stare back--she figured. What was going on with him?

Cassedee glanced over James's shoulder and saw a familiar face.

Ethan. She could tell that he knew something was wrong with James too.

Cassedee seemed to perk up. She waved at Ethan but there was no response. She furrowed her eyebrows together, trying to figure out what was wrong with the two of them. Hesitating on asking the question that suddenly popped into her mind. She decided to do it anyway.

"What has gotten into you? Seriously. You are acting so weird."

James narrowed his eyes at Cassedee.

"I'm fine." But she could tell from his tone that he wasn't fine. Something was very, very wrong.

Cassedee pulled her hair back into a pony-tail.

"Okay...I don't believe you."

His eyes suddenly got very cold.

"Then, that's your problem. I'm fine, Cassedee. I promise."

She stopped fixing her hair and stared at him. He never called her by her full name.

Something was definitely wrong.

She glanced passed James's shoulders at Ethan. Their eyes met and they both looked at each other surprised.

Something happened to James and they weren't sure exactly what that was but she was determined to figure it out.

She felt the invisible weight on her shoulders now. She had to rescue Nole and James. Bring back all the people who vanished. Figure out a way out of here. James was useless now. He had been corrupted by whatever this world was. And he wasn't the same anymore.

She felt her lungs working harder now, her breathing intensifying. She didn't know what to do or which direction to go in. She didn't trust James. Not this version.

He looked more animalistic. More wild.

James had no emotions, either. No smile, no excitement. Just nothingness.

Cassedee had to figure out a way out of here. She had to save Nole. Somehow.

James was gone.

Cassedee felt a singe of guilt--how could she have let this happen?

Cassedee smiled again and asked her next question.

"So, where are we exactly? Please tell me the two of you have figured that out."

James nodded.

"We are in the land of The Neverending. In between worlds from the living and the dead."

Cassedee's eyes got wide.

"The dead?"

James shook his head.

"Not dead, Cassedee. The between world. Living nor dead."

Cassedee paused, looking directly at him now.

"And how do we get out of this world?"

He grinned, almost evilly.

"You can't."

"What do you mean, you can't? I thought that was our plan all along. Go here, save everyone, save Nole then go back."

James's eyes got darker.

"It was a trap, Cassedee. We were supposed to go here all along. By the evil Mr. T."

There was a softness in his voice and Cassedee realized the old James was coming back. Slowly.

"What do you mean?"

James's voice got quiet and he looked around as if he were paranoid. As if someone or something were watching him.

He looked softer. Like an innocent child.

"Cass, you have to get out of here. I'm under a spell. I was lured...We were lured here..." James suddenly screamed out in agony. He gripped his side and tears formed in his eyes.

Ethan was right behind him. But it wasn't Ethan. It was a full-grown man dressed in a suit. With a black rimmed hat on. Diamond studded shoes lined his feet and a cane with a skull on the top glowed green. His eyebrows were perfectly trimmed and they were black. The ends curled upwards and his mustache was curled too.

The man's eyes glowed green and he flashed a smile at Cassedee.

"Welcome to your eternity." He said with a tight grin.