Chapter 13: The Magic Manor

Cassedee couldn't believe it. The woman that they had read about in the case files was standing in front of them--in the same clothes that she had been described in when she vanished. But how?

Ethan's headlight eyes swung around and were shining in Cassedee's face. He looked just as stunned as she was.

She wasn't sure if she should play it off or tell the truth. That this woman had been missing since 1956 and she looked exactly the same as when she disappeared. Well, besides being covered in filth. 

Cassedee tried to rationalize what they were seeing. Maybe it was a trick of their eyes--maybe they were just exhausted. Cassedee felt thousands of scenerios racing through her head. What would happen if she confronted this woman? If she told this woman the truth. What if this woman already knows the truth? Did she know how much time had passed? Did she know the world outside of whatever this is was different then how she had left it?

She was scared of the answer. 

Cassedee hesitated before taking a step forward. She decided to play it off, hoping that her suspicions would be answered without questions.

Hoping that nothing had to be asked or disrupted. Or disputed, for lack of a better word.

She slowly walked forward, and took a breath.

"Hello there. My name is Cassedee." She glanced over at Ethan. "And this is my friend, Ethan." Her voice shook as she spoke.

She paused, anticipating a response from Emily. 

Still stunned that this was the same woman they read about in the case file.

Emily nodded, "I know who you two are."

Cassedee's eyes got wide and she took a second to answer.

"How--how do you--"

Before she had a chance to answer, the beast stepped forward, now only on two sets of feet, standing upright.

The wolf-like-creature let out a howl, which echoed throughout the cave. It stomped on the ground several times before coming to a stop and resting its two back feet down on the ground.

Suddenly, there was a voice. A human voice that Cassedee and Ethan both recognized. It was Nole.

The creature's body was suddenly covered in yellow-looking dust and a cloud began to form. 

A whooshing sound swept through the cave, and wind brushed passed them. 

Then, there was nothing except another human standing before them. Right where the beast used to be.

Nole.

Cassedee could feel the tears coming, but she brushed them back.

Now is not the time for that foolishness. You have to be brave, Cass. Don't be weak. Cry later, not now.

Cassedee whispered loudly, "Nole! I can't believe it's you! You're alive!"

She ran over to him and hugged him, but there was no response.

Cassedee let go after several seconds--still nothing.

She grabbed Nole's shoulders and shook him back and forth.

Staring into his eyes, she could tell he was out of it. His presence existed but his soul was absent. The light was gone, she could certainly see that.

She whirled around to face Ethan, who ran over.

"What's wrong with him?" he asked, a level of impatience in his tone.

Emily was the one who spoke.

"I'm afraid your friend has been put on mute. A punishment if you disobey Mr. T."