Chapter 10: The Neverending World

James doesn't remember anything except for some loud noise and blinding white light. He was laying on what felt like cold ground and leaves but he wasn't sure. He tried to get his bearings down, but his eyes couldn't focus. 

He struggled to open them, it was almost as if someone had put plastic wrap over his face--like a veil. He laid there for what seemed like hours, trying to figure out if he was alive or--worse.

Dead.

He wasn't sure exactly what had happened. Just that they were at the police station, James had picked up the camera and...

Accidentally hit the button.

He suddenly flew up from his current position, wide eyed and stunned.

Did he actually do that? He tried desperately to remember but there was nothing.

He took a  deep breath and let it out. 

Okay James, don't panic. Remember. Think, think, think. 

He glanced around at his surroundings.  It looked like the middle of winter. No leaves on the trees, the grass was yellow and brown. 

There it was.

The old manor just on top of the hill.

In it's old dilapidated state. The walls crumbling on the outside. The paint chipping off. What was once a pristine white color is now a mossy green. Vines grew throughout the structure as holes in the walls of the manor were also present.

The long winding driveway that lead up to it was covered in weeds and junk the townspeople had dropped off. The grounds looked like a graveyard of old stuff.

Trees lined the background of the manor and the long front yard stood in front where the loop came across the top of the driveway. It formed a half moon which circled back around and ended at the end--where the mailbox used to be.

James imagined what life would have been like for those who were rich enough to get invitations to the fancy dinner parties. Everyone dressed up in suits and elegant dresses, strolling the grounds, the swanky parties lasting long into the night.

It was only reserved for the elite--those who could afford the silver ticket. 

James suddenly felt warm inside--not scared anymore. He almost felt a level of comfort knowing that nothing had happened to them when they got zapped.

The manor was owned by one of the wealthiest men in the county. The story goes that he had the manor here to keep his family life private from his other life. Or so the rumors say. 

He imagined them rolling up in their expensive cars, the servants opening the doors and the guests making their way up the exquisite stairs through the giant wooden doors.

James wondered what it must have looked like in its hay-day. The manor was abandoned due to the owner failing to pay taxes on the property but James always wondered if there was something more to the story. If the owner himself disappeared just like everyone else.

James tried to get up but a searing pain stopped him. It was coming from his right side, just under his arm. He looked down and saw red. A stick had punctured his side and the wound looked almost purple. There was blood scattering the leaves underneath him and James wondered how long it had been there for. And why he didn't notice this earlier.

I hope this isn't infected. 

He tried again to get up, this time forcing himself. The pain intensified and he clutched his right side. He glanced down and blood was pouring out again, not fast but slow. 

Alright, let's try this again. One, two, three--

James sat upright, the pain was completely unbearable now. He bit his bottom lip to compensate for the pain. 

His sweatshirt.

He tried to rip the hood off but it was too thick so instead he wrapped it around his waist and fastened it like a harness over his shoulder.

This'll have to do for now.

There were dead trees all around him and it looked like the middle of winter. The land that sat across from the manor was barren. Nothing to see except patches and patches of decaying grass.

Strange, he thought.

He carefully got up, slowly as to not disturb the makeshift bandage. 

He also realized he was now in just a t-shirt. Panic quickly set in and James wondered if it was the cold that would get him or the hunger. It would take them at least a day to walk back to town from the manor.

It was out in the middle of nowhere, not anywhere near their homes.

Their parents would worry. James was in so much trouble.

Nole.

His eyes got wide.

He didn't leave a note at Nole's. His parents would worry, too.

It was all his fault.

If he hadn't pulled that stupid prank they would all be fine.

Ethan and Cassedee.

He frantically looked around, but there was nothing in sight.

Where were they?

His heart started to race and his palms got sweaty. He was all alone.

No, you have to remain calm. You're fine, you're still in the town. You are still in your world.

There was no temperature. He also noticed that. No wind, no sounds from the woods. Nothing.

No sun either.

No sun.

The sky was a dark gray with patches of white smeared in.

Everything looked so lifeless.

James pressed down on his hands, easing himself up slowly as to not make his wounds worse. He winced against the pain, trying to fight it off.

Slowly and steadily, he got up now noticing how much the cut was hurting. Just ignore it, he thought to himself. James steadied himself, barely standing upright. He staggered, balancing his weight evenly. He surveyed his surroundings, noticing there were no birds chirping or small animals scurrying around.

This is so weird.

He noticed an unusual black line drawn on the ground some few yards away. He looked at it perplexed, now noticing the sky was a smoky gray--darker then this sky where he was.
It was almost black but transparent and the  swirling black clouds that encased the sky suddenly appeared.

What is that, he wondered out loud. He squinted trying to see further passed the clouds but it was no use. There was nothing else, just the black mass  of sky. 

Sighing, he tried to walk normally, but the pain was unbearable. He had to hobble instead. James carefully brushed through the fallen leaves, taking note of his surroundings. Just in case he got lost he could retrace his steps.

He wasn't sure exactly where he was going but he knew he needed to find Ethan and Cassedee. And fast. They had to get back home and figure out what happened.

James began to wonder if they were even home, in their time.

The land looked different--not too much different but slightly. He couldn't shake the feeling that something or someone was watching him.

And whoever it was, was glad he was there.