Chapter 1: The Comet Leonard

Clarisse sat on a dark-colored lounger with oversized cushions that felt firm but comfortable

Clarisse sat on a dark-colored lounger with oversized cushions that felt firm but comfortable. She was in her backyard with its sprawling flower garden full of snow-white daisies, pink tulips, and red roses. But since it was in the middle of winter, the flowers were brown and wilted, not to be revived until the first bit of warm spring sun melted the icy frost.

Her deep brown eyes were going back and forth behind her telescope's eyepiece, looking for the slightest bit of movement using her Celestron NexStar Evolution 9.25" telescope. She used her free hand to wrap soft, thick quilts around her body, shielding herself from the icy wind sweeping through the backyard.

Earlier that month, she had stumbled across something about a rare comet, Leonard, discovered earlier that year. It was best viewed in early December when the comet would be closest to Earth.

She had told her mother, Isabelle, and her sister, Camille, everything. But one fact she found especially interesting was that humanity wouldn't see it again for seven millennia. But before then, billions would see it. And she would be damned if she were not one of those lucky humans.

Back in the present, she refocused her attention on the Andromeda constellation. A closer look revealed that the Andromeda galaxy was the Milky Way galaxy's nearest neighbor.

Clarisse was staring at it so intently that every sense except sight seemed to turn off. She didn't even register Camille's quiet footsteps as she entered the frigid night, wearing only long-sleeved purple flannel pajamas, fuzzy slippers, and her copper waves in a messy bun.

Seeing her breath come out of her mouth as frozen air, Camille crossed her arms and walked to Clarisse, perching on the back of her chair. Clarisse tore her gaze away from the sky to meet her sister's green orbs.

"Have you seen the comet yet?" Camille asked.

"No, but it should be visible around 10:00," Clarisse replied, furrowing one of her dark eyebrows. "Why do you ask?"

Camille brought her hands to her mouth, blowing stifling air on them before rubbing them against each other. She did not want frostbite. Then, failing to warm up her hands, she shoved them into her pants pockets.

"Mom's going to bed, so you must come inside when you finish out here."

Clarisse rolled her eyes, smiling.

Isabelle meant well, especially since her husband, Lorenzo, had died recently. But before that, she was always overprotective. Whenever either of her girls went out, she would want to know every detail of where they were going before they left. Still, it didn't make their situation any less annoying, but most of the time, the girls were happy to let her fuss over them.

Clarisse then eyed her sister's attire with a frown.

"Why the hell did you come out here without any cold-weather protection?! I'm wearing a jacket, a thick scarf, and wrapped in blankets," she said, her eyes wide with disbelief.