Chapter 12: Party fun

Soon, after a little while, everyone was settled comfortably in the living room; Clarisse was with the girls on one side, and Joseph with the boys on the other

Soon, after a little while, everyone was settled comfortably in the living room; Clarisse was with the girls on one side, and Joseph with the boys on the other. Clarisse had been listening to the other girls' conversations about their Christmas holidays but had not contributed much until Lisa Turpin, seated beside her, cleared her throat. Clarisse jumped in surprise before she turned her head and smiled at her.

"What is it?"

Her friend's sharp blue eyes focused on her face, and her tone was light when she spoke.

"What did you and Joseph do for Christmas, Clarisse?"

Clarisse took a refreshing sip of her virgin Strawberry margarita and let the liquid go down her throat before answering her friend.

"Well, on Christmas Eve, we celebrate Festa dei sette pesci, or Feast of the Seven Fishes. We had crostini and fish mousse, Swordfish parmigiana, seafood lasagna, a risotto, and other miscellaneous dishes I can't remember now. Most of my dad's family showed up, including my Zio Tomm, Θεία Athena, and their children, and of course, we had Joseph, his dad, Nathan, and his stepmom, Sara. And we were supposed to have my Onkel Klaus's chocolate cake, but a rat got into it."

Lisa's delicate features underwent a range of expressions— joy when hearing about Clarisse's family, delight at the thought of the delectable feast, and disgust at the mention of the rat. She stuck out her tongue and shuddered.

"Oh, rats are disgusting. They're everywhere," she squealed, her eyes wide with horror.

Clarisse shook her head, a frown marring her features.

"Fortunately, my mom and uncle Tommaso got rid of it quickly, and we had the same ingredients my Onkel had in Germany. He then remade the cake for Christmas Day. It looked just as beautiful, and I'm sure it tasted as delicious as the first! The icing was not too sweet, and the cake was moist. I want to make it myself, but he's always been particular about whom he gives his recipes to. But I'm sure that he will make an exception for me."

Lisa licked her lips, salivating at the thought of the cake.

"Oh, I hope so; hearing you talk about this cake makes me want some," she said. "Anyway, what did you do on Christmas Day?"

Clarisse met Lisa's gaze, her dark eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Joseph and I had an amazing breakfast in the jacuzzi, but we couldn't resist snogging— making out rather heavily. His kisses are commanding and passionate; that boy can use his hands! He's not too gentle or rough. And he left so many marks on my neck! And they still haven't gone away," she giggled naughtily.

"I bet. Did you get him back for it?" Lisa smirked.

Clarisse inspected her nails before looking up at Lisa with a smirk crossing her lips.