Chapter 14: The Art Gallery Fire

Isabelle was holed up in her office at Braselton Art, sketching Celine's granddaughter's outline on her large, white canvas

Isabelle was holed up in her office at Braselton Art, sketching Celine's granddaughter's outline on her large, white canvas. She had a sketching pencil in her left hand, creating the background as her eyes narrowed in concentration. On her desk, a few feet away from her stool and canvas, were her paints, brushes, a bowl of water, and paper towels. They were ready for when she grabbed them.

However, her thoughts were interrupted by the loud grumbling of her stomach. She grabbed her iPhone to dial Camille's number. She put it to her ear and waited for her daughter to pick it up. Luckily, Camille answered on the first ring, but she was breathless.

"Hey. What are you working on?"

"The scene where Albert and Belle were doing a tango. I was just getting to the song's climax when you called. What's up?"

Isabelle's stomach rumbled again, as if it were reminding her.

"Could you please bring me a copy of this week's lunch and dinner menu?" she asked impatiently.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Give me a minute," Camille replied.

Isabelle let out a relieved sigh.

"Thank you so much, sweetheart. I'll see you shortly."

"Okay. Bye, Mamma," Camille replied.

"Bye, sweetheart."

After she hung up the phone, Isabelle put her device on the chair beside her and again became deeply engrossed in her task. By the time she had added the outline of the bench, the granddaughter would be sitting in the picture when Camille entered the room. She had one of the menus under one arm and her phone in the other.

"The cafe is serving sandwich and soup combos like grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, steak sandwiches with French onion, and ham and Swiss sandwiches with chicken noodle soup," she explained, handing the menu to her mother.

Isabelle perused through the menu, her eyes studying each option. Soup and a sandwich sounded good, especially on a winter night like tonight.

"While I usually get the French onion soup with a steak sandwich, I'll try something different today."

Camille smiled before reaching for the menu. Isabelle gladly gave it over. Camille tucked it under her arm. Her other hand reached up to grab a loose lock of her red hair falling in her eyes and tucked it back into her bun.

"What will be your choice?" she asked.

"A ham and Swiss sandwich with chicken noodle soup and a fruit cup."

Camille turned and approached the door but called over her shoulder, "Okay. I'll be right back."

Isabelle nodded before returning to her art, and Camille turned on her heel to leave the room, going down the hall towards the café. The long hallways were dark, and Isabelle's employees except her receptionist were gone, enjoying the New Year's Eve festivities with their families.