Chapter 7: Christmas Eve part 1

A few days after Joseph and Clarisse's anniversary, it was the night of Clarisse's family's Christmas Eve dinner, and Joseph, Nathan, and Sara were set to attend

Joseph had just finished getting ready, so he was downstairs, pacing the foyer and clutching his phone. After a few minutes, he went to the stairs and looked up, hoping to glimpse Sara or his dad.

"Hey Dad, are you guys ready yet? Clarisse told me dinner starts at six-thirty, and I hate to break it to you both, but it's already six!"

There was no reply, but his phone beeped. Opening it up, he saw a text from his girlfriend.

To: Joseph

From: Clarisse

Hey, what's your ETA?

He sighed before replying and sending another annoyed look towards his father's bedroom.

To: Clarisse

From: Joseph

We're just about to leave.

He waited a few moments, but still didn't hear anything from Nathan or Sara, and nervously ran a hand through his gelled hair. Once he realized what he had done, he groaned and looked at it with a grimace. Joseph rolled his eyes at himself before wiping the residue off.

He then rechecked the time to ensure his eyes weren't deceiving him and yelled, "I mean it, Dad! We need to go!"

There was no reply, but his phone beeped again, so his eyes darted to it.

From: Clarisse

To: Joseph

Okay. That sounds good.

He smiled at Clarisse's understanding nature as Sara appeared at the top of the stairs. Her attire was a silver sweater with an emerald-green skirt and black wedges with her dark hair in a bun. When she spotted him, she came down the stairs, her dark blue eyes twinkling mischievously.

"Joseph, your Dad knows Isabelle and Clarisse wouldn't be happy if we were late. I'm guessing you're anxious to see Clarisse, though?"

Joseph's face reddened, and he covered his face, making Sara laugh, and Nathan stepped out of the master bedroom. He wore a green button-up and black pants, a silver sportcoat, and his wedding band.

His eyes gleamed with amusement.

"Sara, are you picking on Joseph again?"

His wife laughed, the sound ringing through the halls of their stately home.

"Yes! It's so fun!"

Nathan chuckled and shook his head at her antics.

"That," he said, "is something I agree with, my love."