Chapter 11: New Year's Eve Party Prep

Clarisse had been so busy with her family during Christmas that she had forgotten about her New Year's Eve party with Joseph and their friends

Clarisse had been so busy with her family during Christmas that she had forgotten about her New Year's Eve party with Joseph and their friends. So, Clarisse texted her best friends, Delilah and Layla, and told them to come over to talk party prep.

They burst through the front door within a few minutes, offering hurried greetings to Isabelle and Camille. Clarisse then heard their pounding footfalls as they raced up to her room. Isabelle and Camille looked at each other and shrugged before exiting the house.

And pretty soon, Delilah was standing in the doorway, bent over with her hands on her thighs. Her face was red with exertion and her blonde hair was in disarray. When she straightened to her full height, Clarisse had to strain her neck to look up at her.

"Hey, Clarisse, Layla's not far behind," Delilah panted.

Just as she said, Layla arrived several seconds later and waved at Clarisse as she stopped to catch her breath.

"Good. But why are you girls so out of breath? It's not that far of a walk from here to your house," Clarisse said curiously.

"We didn't walk....."

Clarisse snickered.

"Oh, don't be so dramatic, Delilah. It's exercise! It's good for you. You won't die."

"I know," Delilah said, walking over to the bed and shoving Clarisse playfully.

Laughing, Clarisse grabbed her and Layla and pulled them onto the bed with her. They fell on top of her, their combined weight made her grunt. The two rolled off and settled beside her with Layla leaning on a pillow and Delilah with her hands in her lap.

"We need to get to work. Dealing with everything will take a while," she informed the girls.

Delilah and Layla sat at attention.

"We're listening."

Clarisse reached over to her nightstand and grabbed her clipboard before she began naming off the to-do list.

"It's the usual drill. You two will get the food, and Lisa, Anne, Tamara, and Malia will take care of dessert. Jason, Tristan, Lucas, Tyler, and Matt will get drinks and be security. And as for myself and Joseph, we'll be in charge of decorating and cleaning and locking up the bedrooms."

Delilah grabbed her iPhone to enter her Notes app and put the food on a list. She and Layla would go to the store and Chick-fil-A and get everything. She looked up from her phone, meeting Clarisse's eyes.

"Okay, Clarisse, I already have our grocery list. It has Mac n Cheese, Tostitos and Lays chips, Caesar, chicken and pasta salad, crackers, and dip. And of course, the Chick-fil-A party platters with sauce. Is there anything I'm missing?"

She shook her head.

"I don't think so."

"Okay. We'll leave for the store when Joseph gets here."