Chapter 8: Christmas Eve part 2

After everyone was seated, Camille and Isabelle brought the antipasti: shrimp cocktails and crostini with fish mousse

After everyone was seated, Camille and Isabelle brought the antipasti: shrimp cocktails and crostini with fish mousse. Alice and Greta followed with the choices for the first course: salmon lasagna and risotto alla Pescatore. Everyone then chose one of the appetizers and put them on their plates. When they stopped, Gabriele clinked his spoon on the side of his wineglass. His daughter, Gianna, looked up with the others following.

"Everyone, would you please join hands?" Gabriele asked, making sure his voice was heard.

They nodded, and he gave everyone a moment to do that before he began the evening prayer.

"Caro Dio, ti ringraziamo per tutti coloro che sono qui riuniti con noi stasera, per il cibo meraviglioso e nutriente di cui godremo e per l'amore incondizionato che condividiamo tutti gli uni con gli altri. Preghiamo per coloro che non sono più qui con noi e preghiamo per coloro che sono in viaggio o si preparano a viaggiare. E che tu stia con coloro che stanno soffrendo; confortali, padre. Rendiamo grazie in questo giorno per la nascita del nostro Salvatore, perché nel Suo nome preghiamo. Amen."

"Amen." Everyone chorused before digging into their meals, and Camille looked at her uncle.

"You did an excellent job, Zio Gabriele."

Gabriele bowed his head, a bashful smile on his face.

"Thank you, Camille."

"You're welcome," she grinned.

In the meantime, Clarisse looked around the table, taking in its cream tablecloth covered with flowers and the appetizers and entrees now sitting at the center. Depending on the type of dish, the food was either in a large yellow serving bowl with a serving fork or spoon or on their red serving plates with a large serving utensil. Everyone had a large white dinner plate with a folded napkin, a fork and a knife, a large spoon, and a small spoon, with most of the adults also having a wineglass. And the children under 21 and the non-drinkers had a nonalcoholic beverage of their choice.

Soon, she got so lost in her thoughts that she didn't even register the sound of Tommaso calling her name. Joseph saw his annoyed expression and snapped his fingers in her face. This brought her back to the present as her eyes focused on Joseph.

"I'm sorry, but I just zoned out. What's up?"

"Your Zio Tommaso has been trying to talk to you. So, I decided to take pity on him and get your attention," he replied, gesturing to the tall blond man staring at Clarisse.

"Thank you for telling me, Joseph."

He nodded before Clarisse turned to smile apologetically at her uncle.

"And I'm sorry, Zio Tommaso, for not hearing your question. Would you mind repeating it?"

"No, I don't, mio tesoro," Tommaso replied, resting his wrists on the table. "I had asked if you had gotten the chance to use your new telescope?"