Chapter 16: The Hospital

Clarisse, Delilah, and Layla weren't stuck in traffic for long

Clarisse, Delilah, and Layla weren't stuck in traffic for long. A few minutes later, their lane started moving. Clarisse put her foot on the gas, and her friends looked relieved.

"I thought we would be there forever." Clarisse was the first to speak up.

"Same here," Delilah and Layla chimed in. 

They sped until they reached the correct speed limit and soon arrived at the hospital. Clarisse pulled into the Emergency Room section before bursting out of the car, not even bothering to wait on Layla and Delilah.

The girls shared an exasperated look before jumping out and running after their friend. She was halfway to the entrance when they caught up with her. Layla was wheezing too much to speak, so it was up to Delilah to get Clarisse's attention.

"Clarisse, calm down. Izzy and Cami aren't here yet!"

Clarisse stopped walking and turned around, an annoyed look on her face. This had the other two stopping in their tracks. Delilah turned pale, and Layla's eyes widened.

Shit! Why did I start yelling at Clarisse when she was acting like this? Joseph's the only one who can calm her down, having known her longer than us. But he's not here! Man, that was not smart. I hope she doesn't rip our heads off!

While Layla's frantic thoughts surged through her head, she and Delilah watched as Clarisse advanced on them. Her gaze was so dark and foreboding that the two cousins dared not speak. 

That proved to be a wise choice since Clarisse began yelling.

"Well, I'm so sorry, but I was trying to get in there to identify Mamma, Camille, and Anna!" She crossed her arms.

The girls shrank back, their expressions pale and terrified. A few passersby walking into the hospital gave Clarisse a few dirty looks. She was too upset to care.

A long silence ensued, but soon Delilah regained the courage to speak.

"No, Clarisse, it shows that you care." Her voice was kind and soft. Clarisse took a deep breath as Delilah continued slowly, "And your grandparents or Uncle Liam aren't here, so that leaves you to identify your mother and sister."

Clarisse gave them a grim nod before ducking her head. 

"I'm sorry about that. My anger should not have been directed at you. You were telling me to calm down, and I overreacted."

Delilah waved off Clarisse's apology with a smile.

"We understand. If something were to happen to Layla, I'd be freaking out, too," she explained.

Layla nodded in agreement.

"Same if it were Delilah. We're the closest thing the other has to siblings. Naturally, we're going to be protective. So, we completely understand how you feel, so that's why we're not mad at you for getting upset with us."