Epilogue

Day 30 of Summer

It was already a month into summer - Sarah had been spending her time working at both the diner and a second part-time job at the public library. It was good to stay busy, out of the house, away from things. Her dad had been going to the doctor a lot more lately. Sarah knew that he was sick, but neither he nor her mom would tell them anything. She assumed it was something tied to alcoholism, so likely his liver, but they would never admit that dad drank too much...he was perfect. What was actually wrong, Sarah had no clue. What she did know was that her house was particularly gloomy. 

Kathy had finally broken up with her boyfriend. It had been a rather long process that Sarah didn't know all the details to, but at least it was done. Kathy was home for the summer from college. That didn't mean she was around very much though. Kathy was also working, but she had a full-time factory job inspecting car parts. It wasn't very glamorous, but it payed really well. Since she was doing the late shift, their schedules didn't overlap that great. It didn't help that their old habits kicked in with their parents pitted them against each other, laying on the guilt and the competition. It was hard to bond in that setting. Sarah hadn't even really had a chance to tell Kathy much about Ryan and their relationship, or ask her thoughts on the future. 

Thinking of Ryan, Sarah had to smile. They were trying to spend as much time as possible together before he ran off to college. He would begin attending practices and workshops soon. After Ryan committed to Michigan they had run him through a number of drills and trainings to determine where he might fit into their programs, since it was a leap from their small high school to a major D1 program. Ryan was actually doing summer training with 3 sports - soccer, basketball, and football, since he had excelled in all three. It looked like he would be starting for soccer, but make the training squad for football and potentially off the bench in basketball as well.  Rosters were not finalized, but he was guaranteed a scholarship either way. The opportunity was too much to pass up for a smaller school and more specific squad positions - that whole big fish in a small pond versus a smaller fish in a big pond.

Sarah looked up to see the man she was thinking about stroll into the library. She was just wrapping up her shift and they were going to be heading to the lakeshore for one last weekend together. The end of the summer was already at hand, since Ryan would be getting much busier in the upcoming weeks. They would be going to his family's timeshare and meeting up with some of their friends. Things that she never would have thought about, or thought of for herself last summer. Sarah wasn't sure how the weekend would go or even how the next year would end up, but she was trying to live in the moment. It was hard not to worry, since senior year was still ahead of her and she finally was feeling comfortable in herself...but everything was going to change (again) and she wasn't sure she was ready for it. 

But...that was another chapter...

(I did have 2 'sequels' planned out when I was younger, with some of the plot laid out. Who knows if/when I will get to those, but maybe someday)