Searching for the Fox

A few days passed after the invasion at the Chaos Council Base. I recuperated a bit after 2 days of rest, or at least that's what I told everybody. I don't really like people worrying about me, so I might have lied about my health status but that's okay!

The next few days, I tended to Knucks and Rebel the most because they were in the cusps of the battle the most. Rebel stayed unconscious for some time, but at least I could get a story about what happened afterward from Knucks.

"I was furious and helpless. I couldn't protect you or Rebel." Knucks hangs his head recalling that night. I was doing my usual checkup on him when he began to tell me what happened.

"After defeating the stupid Eggbots, I carried Rebel in my arms and ran to the shard room, but you weren't there. Maybe I didn't see you leave. Then again, I didn't see Nine leave until later." He grumbles a bit.

"After a day back in the Rebellion's base, you appeared at the entrance still unconscious."

I look back at him and examine his wounds. He had more cuts on his head than usual and his legs suffered the impact from the fall when he jumped from the Chaos Council Base with Rebel in his arms.

Knucks gaze goes back to Rebel who's situated on the bed next to him. I know he feels guilty and angry. He blames Sonic and Nine for this whole debacle, but I...don't think they did this on purpose. At least, I don't believe Nine would do this. It's like I forgot something that makes me believe this, but it's probably the concussion I suffered.

A small moan fills the room. Knucks face beams with happiness as I see Rebel come back to consciousness. "Wha-What happened?" Knucks leaves his bed despite my effort to disway him, but he rushes to her side and explains what happened afterward. I sit still on the soft white bed as I study my yellow shoes. A small glimpse of Nine carrying me comes to mind but I shake the thought thinking it might have been another mistake from my brain.

"That...traitor, ugh" Rebel whispers, she groans a bit trying to sit up.

"It's best if you stay as you are, we don't want the leader to take more time getting better now, do we?" Knucks smirks at her.

"Knucks?" I glance behind me to see them a bit when I notice Rebel's worry turn to a stern look.
"KNUCKS!? What are you doing off your bed!?"

"Wha-? That's the last time I check up on you."

"As if, you've always tried to be cheeky at the worst moments."

"Rebel!"

"Knucks!"

I smile as I see them bicker again like their usual selves, but my mind stays stuck on the yellow fox boy. I wonder if I could sneak out and try to find him? I would need a distraction, especially after this whole battle and everything.

—--

Slowly I creep out of the base trying to check out the surrounding areas. Luckily, that older dog man I mended earlier helped create a distraction and an excuse for me to leave the base. After some time, I bump into some teenage foxes, wolves, and a butterfly who look down to me and begin to snicker when I approach.

"Geez, isn't it ol' Miracle Maiden?" The butterfly sneered. I keep my head down before I question them.

"Uh, have you guys seen a yellow fox boy, a bit taller than me and with mechanical legs?"

"Ha!" One of the foxes spit out his soda, "YOU MEAN NINE!?" He says in between laughter. The rest of the group joins in as they continuously call Nine different names like, "loser", "nerd" and "scoundrel".

"That idiot actually has someone looking for him, geez..." A small tear of laughter leaves a teen's face and he wipes it away. "You know about the kid, right?" I hesitate a bit before shaking my head.

"Well, aren't you in for a treat? That kid is bad news." A wolf comments and feels his ear a bit which had a nasty, old cut. "He jumped us one day after a day of bullying and we've never messed with him since." Go figures when someone probably lived on the street. It was lucky enough that Rebel and Knucks took me in after the incident at the orphanage.

"Yeah..." The butterfly adds, "Rumor has it that he lives in the abandoned railway at Boiled Street." She trails off a bit, "And to think, he was a sweet boy before he was on the streets."

"BUT HIS MOM DIDN'T EVEN WANT HIM THOUGH!" A gray fox squarks. "THAT'S WHY HE WAS DROPPED OFF IN THE ORPHANAGE!" The group joins in the laughter once again.

I take small steps to leave them and continue my search on Boiled Street. Though my mind was racing with the new found knowledge. If Nine was at the orphanage, then he must have- or like- we could've known each other. After taking a quick turn and heading underground, I try to leave those thoughts behind me when I approach a metal door with a padlock on it.

My eyes focused on a small yellow hair in front of the door which washed away any doubt that this wasn't Nine's door. So I lift my hand to knock but then the door handles turn a bit and the door is opened. It reveals that edgy fox with twin tails right before me.

"(y/n)?"