A Date?

Once I took his hand, blushed crept onto my face and I admired my intelligent friend. Our hands intertwined as we walked our way downtown.

"Isn't downtown far from where you live?" I anxiously ask, "I don't want you to have to walk too far to get back."

"It's no problem." He lifts up a hand in salute, "Honest." His smirk sent a heat rushing through me.

—-

Nine takes me to a small spray paint store so that we could tag up a train station. Unfortunately, that wasn't much fun because Egg Enforcers didn't even let us start tagging before they confiscated everything we had. In dismay, we walk to a food stand to try and find something to eat.

"That'll be 30 coins." The vendor said. In surprise I counter, "30 coins for 2 Tayakis!?" The man shrugged just saying that everything's gone up in price since the power outage. I began to search my pockets for any sorta cash to hand in, but when I finally got enough out, we were already handed the Taiyaki.

"Don't worry lil' Miss. Your boyfriend already paid." The man said, winking. Jeez, the look on my face must've screamed "NO! IT'S NOT LIKE I LIKE HIM!"

"We-um, we aren't together sir." Those words kinda hurt hearing it from Nine. He was so serious and calm when saying that. Our hands weren't intertwined because of the Taiyaki, but we could've been right? I shook my head violently.

NO! I can't think that way! He's just a friend! My very handsome...I stared at the inventor next to me. A very handsome, intelligent, cute, and caring friend. Plus, I haven't had a crush. Again, I was always surrounded by people way older (or at least I always thought that they were way older). And they always acted like a parental figure.

We make our way to the roof tops, our feet dangle above the depressed citizens, and the Tayakis are in our hands ready to consume.

"Hey, sorry we couldn't do anything else fun." Nine looks down eating his treat. His ears drooped down.

I immediately shook my hands in objection, "No, it was great!" I stopped for a moment and studied my Tayaki, "I'm just glad I was with you..." I glance up before looking down. I saw a glimpse of his red face as he looked at me. "Not in another way, just so you know." I smile.

Why do I lie to myself?

I hear Nine sigh beside me, he crumples the paper from the Taiyaki and throws it off the edge.

"Nine! What the heck!? Are you trying to make this city look worse?" He doesn't say anything, he just leans back on both his arms and stares into the cloudy sky. I scarfed down the rest of my Tayaki hoping to talk more if I do. But we just sat there in silence for a while.

I laid on my back then Nine joined me. He laid his hand on mine and intertwined our fingers together. Blush was the bane of my existence, showing the world what I was feeling without my permission.

At least blush was a two way street, I thought when I glimpsed at Nine who also had red on his cheeks.

I scoot a little closer to lay my head on Nine's shoulder hoping to get just a bit more affection from him...for no reason. Still unsatisfied, I face him and put an arm around him to snuggle into his bosom. He begins to pat my head before tracing his hand (from the arm I laid on) across my back which was really relaxing.

"Nine?" I whisper real low.

"Hm?"

"What was your plan for the yellow prism?" His hand flinched a bit before he continued to trace my back.

"...well, I was thinking about building another world..." I tried looking at him but it was kinda hard.

"Another world? Like the dimension that hedgehog was talking about?"
"His name is Sonic and yes." I hit a nerve being rude to Sonic.

"So you want to leave this city?...Leave me here?" I hug him a bit tighter. He answered a few moments afterward.

"That's not it. You like this place so I wasn't going to ask you, but if you really want to go I can bring you with me." We both sit up and gaze into each other's eyes. I know I reflected a bit of a somber mood but how could I not when he literally just said he'd leave.

"N-Nine...I don't want you to leave..." A tear fell down my cheek which Nine made sure to catch with his hand.

"I won't be leaving soon. I'm waiting for Sonic to come back..." He looks back into the sky, "if he ever does come back."

My hand reaches for his. "I-I think it's time to head back." Nine mutters and averts his eyes from mine.

"Okay..." We head back to my place, hand in hand. Right before I was gonna go home, Nine pulled me into a hug. My mouth was agape and my eyes widened at the sudden gesture.

I suddenly felt lips on my forehead leaving a tender kiss for me to recall.

"Just think about my offer. We'll see each other soon, okay?" I didn't want to let go but time was of the essence. "By the way," Nine continues, "I thought you looked pr-pretty c-cute today." I stare at him fully embarrassed and fix my eyes to the floor. I didn't have anything particularly cute on, just a simple dress and bow in my hair...but he made me feel so special about it.

We went out at least four days every week throughout the past three months and every time we spent moments like these. The days we didn't hang out, I would catch glimpses of him and wave to my friend. Unknown to us, we were both slowly making our ways to each other's hearts.