Walking Home

"You got everything?" Nine calls out to ask. I rush to the main area, I like to call it his workshop, and scan the room to search for anything I've missed. Throughout the two weeks I had been wearing his clothes, so I packed up my dirty ones into a cute tote bag he let me borrow. I tried to find the most gender-neutral clothes he had so that Rebel and Knucks wouldn't grow suspicious of where I've been.

After one more look around, I hurry to him and give him a reassuring nod. "Yup!" His face grows a deep red before walking to the door. I didn't think he'd actually walk me back home to be honest. It's kinda dangerous for him to do so...

Nine nonchalantly walks away from me, but I stay standing at the front doorway facing the tracks of the railway. I knew my face would heat up on what I was about to do. From the corner of my eye I see Nine glance over to me with a confused look.

"Um, hello. Earth to (y/n)? What are you still doing all the way over there?" I dash to him and link my right arm with his left. "Huh? What are you-?"

"It's a dangerous world out there, right?" I turned to him with a stern look, a little nervous still since I knew I had to be blushing by this point. "So, this is the safest way for us to head to my home." He chuckles and walks on with our arms still linked together.

"You really are an idiot." He flicked my forehead.

"Hey!" I shoved him a bit. He regains balance before we fall into the tracks. "That's rude! You shouldn't call me an idiot 'cause I'm your friend now!"

I see Nine smile at the word "friend". I like his smile. It's always genuine yet a little mysterious because he's lived a life so different from me.

—-

It probably took 40 minutes to reach the block to where the Rebellion's hideout is at. We talked a lot about politics, then about hobbies, then about each...other... which was nice. I stopped in our tracks when the entrance was in sight causing Nine to follow my lead. My eyes focus on my yellow shoes and white socks. Nine nudges my side for me to look up at him.

"So, this is goodbye I guess." I smile at him with optimism in my voice. "For now" I remind him.

"Yeah, well." He unlinks our arms and scratches the back of his head. "See you later?"

My eyes gleam with excitement that he wants to see me again! "Sure! When!?" I joyously jump up trying to match his height in the process.

"Heh, you're not gonna reach my height, (y/n). You're like 4 inches shorter than me." He teases me unfairly. "One day I might." My smug attitude is plastered all over my face.

"What about Friday? I'll come by here."

"What day is it today?" I totally lost track in his workshop and the days all look the same outside in this smog. He takes a quick glance at his watch and replies that it's Tuesday.

"So we're gonna hang out and do something fun!? Like what?" I really couldn't keep the excitement contained as we discussed our future plans. "I've always wanted to do some mischief!" I look at him and hold his hand hoping he'll agree.

"I never did it before 'cause again, don't know how to fight, but with you with me I'll know I'll be safe!" Adding more to my case. Nine puts his hand on his chin and averts his eyes from mine, but I know that he's just seeing how the pros and cons may outweigh each other.

"Something minor, but sure."

"Yay, thanks Nine!" I wrap my arms around his waist pulling him into a tight hug. His arms stayed still, like always, but I was used to it by now. I pull away and rush to the base. I did not enter until I gave a final wave to Nine who was standing on the sideline making sure I made it in safely.

"AND WHERE WERE YOU YOUNG LADY!?"