Chapter 15 - To never trust

Alexis's pov.

The princess was beautiful, everyone wanted her looks.

To be honest, they just loved her because of her looks.

Every men on the empire wanted to be me, because the princess had a crush on me. Of course, a lot of the nobles also said that our looks was a match, I was handsome, and the princess was beautiful. Matching indeed.

But the princess had a flaw, she was arrogant and ignorant. She tries her best to do things yet fails in the end. She tries to show people that she's so much better than others. It was her flaw that I hated.

And then— she suddenly "changed" ? Can a person change so suddenly? Well- I'm not that stupid, this is probably just one of her acts! I knew the princess since I was young! She was a spoiled little child, she wasn't fitting for the role of Queen nor Crown Princess. She was the epitome of a poisonous beauty, a beauty who's fate is to die in the end.

There were times the princess would act weirdly, and because of her change, I can't deny that I developed an interest on her. She's a weak girl, if I act too kind or like as if I like her, she'll start to like me so much.

For a soul to go back to the past was not something impossible, instead, it was something that everyone was unsure of.

It's not totally impossible for her to be sent back to the past, after all, I have experienced it once.

Before my current lifetime, I've experienced being traumatized by her obsession, i lost the people i loved just because the princess was in love with me. I was a doll who couldn't do anything but follow her.

But ever since I stood against her, I was able to get my revenge, the people who was close to her and got on my path— they all died.

Well, of course, it wasn't me who killed them.

My revenge focused on the Princess. I poisoned her and there were times I would wish that she would experience the pain I felt before, the times I would cry on the garden, the times I would have to hurt myself just to be able to comfort myself.

I couldn't control myself.

I have power, I am a powerful duke, but what is power when I am but a doll to the princess? My family has pledged allegiance to the Imperial Family, thus traps me as a toy to a spoiled woman.

Alexis, first lifetime, 12 years old:

"You are to guard her and make sure she is safe, Alexis." Father patted my back, I looked at the young princess, golden hair and siren gold eyes.

"Yes, father." A typical answer of an obedient child. "Come now, your highness." I offered my hand to her, she smiled, a wide smile, as if though she cannot control it.

She took my hand. We walked to the garden that the royal family owns. It was a private garden, a big one. So big that it can fit a whole jungle. "What is the name of the forest that's located beyond this barrier?" My question. I turned to the short young princess whose hands i was holding, her eyes looked dead as she looked up and down at the barrier. "The dark forest." She shortly answered.

"Okay." I didn't wanna ask more. It was obvious what's inside! Dark forest. DARK, forest. I don't like places that are dark. Despite my curious personality, I do not want to go inside this forest.

"We should head back. It's getting dark, and we've went too far. We even crossed the elf village already." As I said earlier, this garden is big, I don't even know if this is still a garden, there are long trees everywhere, it seems more like a forest than a garden.

"Let's go. We've walked for four hours, they're probably looking for us." She said, I nodded.

We went back, there were times that we would run because she would suddenly do that, and I as a mere son of a duke, would have to follow her.

When we got back to the palace, it was already six in the evening. The maids took the princess in their arms. "Where did you go?! It's ten in the evening, Alexis, you took the princess for a walk 10 hours ago!!" Father angrily shouted at me. Ten hours ago? What? It's ten in the evening now?

"Father, it's six. We only walked for a few kilometers." I looked at him, eyes wide open, quite confused with what's happening.

"Alexis, look." Father kneeled, to match my height. "This garden you two went to, is no ordinary garden. It sits beside the dark forest, do you understand? This garden is as wide and big as the dark forest, anyone could get lost... and actually, it was a miracle that you two were able to get back here even though the sun was already setting, and there was no light." He looked at me as though he knew something he wasn't supposed to know.

"I don't understand, father."

"The young princess is not a saint, Alexis. Be careful, she knows a lot more than the book about that garden." He warned me. I nodded at him, ever since that evening, my point of view of the sweet young princess changed. There were times I would catch her looking so dark. It gives me chills in the spine.

"Alexis." She called as she took a tighter grip of her teacup, "yes?" I answered.

"Marry me in the future?" My eyes widened a bit, a bit shocked with what she said. I don't know if this is a happy one, but I'm sure of one thing, she's doing this with a plan.

"Marry me, this is the only way for you to be safe."