five

~~~

~~~

The morning sun lit up Marleigh's freckled face through her bedroom window, but she didn't even stir. 

She had moved to her bed in the late hours of the night and was still twisted and curled in the lush blue sheets. 

It was almost 11 when Elle walked in, turning on her lights and pulling the covers off of her. 

"Late night? I've never known you to sleep in, especially when we're here." She walked to the closed curtains, beginning to open them, filling the room with even more morning sun. 

Marleigh began to stretch her long legs and raise her arms to do the same. 

"Ugh, Elle, I was sleeping so well." Marleigh raised her hand to shield her eyes from the growing amount of light as she sat up in her silky pj set.  

"Well, it's 11, and the twins made breakfast."

Marleigh grinned picturing her two younger siblings moving about in the kitchen. 

"I'll be down in a minute."

Elle left her alone to shower and get changed. 

Marleigh scrubbed the sand out of her hair and shaved her legs smooth, dressing in an oversized vintage pair of short overalls overtop a tropical bandeau bikini. She slid on her gold and teal sea glass earrings and favorite shell and bead jewelry before finishing the outfit off with a couple of layered gold rings. She grabbed her hot pink Converse before making her way down the stairs. 

She was met in the large, white kitchen by Elle, the twins, and to her unpleasant surprise, the Cameron sisters. The downstairs air smelt of chocolate and blueberries, stemming from the towers of waffles adorning the counter. 

"Mornin'!" Sarah called to her overtop a blueberry stack and syrup with a cheesy grin. 

"Mmm, morning," Marleigh replied, plotting how to make an escape to the Cut. She grabbed a vintage glass plate out of the cabinet and filled it with a stack of waffles over top of the chatter of the girls, finally coming up with the perfect excuse to leave. 

"I'm going to take these to-go, actually. The surf is supposed to be killer today and I don't wanna miss out too much. Something about a swell after the hurricane." Everyone turned their heads at this comment, eyeing her rings and earrings she did not normally wear to surf. She awkwardly tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. 

"Um, okay, that is so not wh-" Wheezie began.

"You should bring Mags with you since I'm not there to watch," Elle cut Wheezie off. She knew her sister was lying, but Marleigh never lied unless it was for a good reason. "Just in case," she added with a smile.