six

past - May 24th, 2019

~~

Marleigh hardly slept that night. 

She had never been so excited for the sun to rise before. 

She had informed Sarah during their drive home from the beach the day prior that she had plans for that Friday.

Plans with none other than JJ Maybank. 

Sarah had rolled her eyes and merely replied, "Be safe." 

Excitement and saltwater coursed through Marleigh's veins as she rose to her alarm. 

Stretching in her green silky pjs, she checked her phone. 

Momma <3: Lunch at The Wreck at 12!! With
the Camerons! Be ready by 11, love. 

Shit.

Marleigh raced down the stairs. She could not let her parents ruin this for her. 

They were lounging at the island's bar side by side, sipping their coffee out of porcelain white mugs. 

"Good mornin', beautif-"

"Moooom! I have plans for today!"

"Well, I'm sure it wouldn't be too big of a deal for you to go. We will see the Camerons plenty this sum-"

"Aaaand what exactly are those plans?" her father questioned over a nonchalant sip of coffee, his face not giving a single hint as to how he was feeling, as always. 

Marleigh had not thought that far ahead. 

"Oh, uh, you know, just surfing. Heard it's supposed to be, like, really good today." She gave them her best smile as she stood in the front foyer, hair messy and hands fidgeting behind her back. 

Her father shook his head. 

The beautiful Conklin mother gave him a pleading look. 

"James, I don't see what the big deal is. It's just lunch."

"And it's just surfing, Viv. The ocean will always be there."

Her mother sighed. 

"I'm sorry, Mar. You can go after?" Her mother offered her beautiful and comforting grin. 

Marleigh's shoulders slumped. She wanted to cry. Why had she not thought to exchange numbers with JJ yesterday? She should have known something like this was bound to happen. 

"You know, Marleigh, if you are truly wanting to take over this business, you should be jumping at every opportunity like this. I mean, dining with our biggest partner and his heir?" He whistled, indicating the importance that their meetings held. Vivanne placed her delicate hands on James's as Marleigh mentally rolled her eyes.