ten

present

present

~~~

"Mar."

"Mmmm," she grumbled, curling further into her current position.

That was, in JJ's shoulder.

Marleigh realized this as she breathed in the all-too-familiar smell of saltwater and weed.

She quickly raised her head, rubbing the sleep from her eyes as she offered JJ a light smile.

"Here we are!" Pope announced, reaching back to open the sliding van door.

"Tannyhill," JJ proclaimed under his breath.

Marleigh rose from her spot beside him, reaching to grab her Converse, sliding them on her bare feet. Mags now stood beside her, watching with a wagging tail.

"Thanks for the ride." She smiled, standing from her crouched position. "And if you find anymore, uh, clues... come get me." She reached up to tuck a blonde curl behind her ear before ducking and placing her Converse-clad feet on the pavement.

"You'll be the first to know!" Pope gave her an encouraging nod.

"See ya, Conk." JJ gave her a short wave as he slid the door shut, leaving her to stand alone in front of her home in the sweltering summer air.

Which left her with her own thoughts.

Which always led to her mom and dad.

Which always sent her spiraling.

She thought for a moment, deciding what would be best for her was a debrief with Sarah.

hey! margs and catch up at mine in a few?

She responded immediately.

sar!: sorry! at the work dock with ward. l8er?

no worries! yeah, text me when you get home.

And that was when it came again. 

The very second she had hit send.

The call from her dad.

Flashing across the screen was a picture from when they were most happy.

Last summer.

Shaking, Marleigh hit the accept button, knowing she would be awake wondering for weeks if she didn't.

She raised it to her ear, not saying a word. She wanted him to speak first.

"Mar, baby!"