eight

past - summer of 2019

~~~

When it was way past time, Marleigh finally brought herself to stand from the daze she had been consumed in. 

Though she stood and showered, the glow did not leave her. 

She had kissed JJ. 

And it was nothing less than perfect. 

She even had plans with him the following day. 

On top of the world was an understatement. 

Floating down the stairs, even her father's booming voice didn't dim her sunshine state of mind. 

"Good morning, Marleigh."

"Hey, Dad."

"Mornin', baby." Her mother kissed her forehead as she slipped a glass plate of bacon and eggs into her hands. 

"Where are the girls?"

"Already over at the Camerons. You snooze, you lose." Her mother playfully patted her cheek with a toothy smile before heading back to the stove. 

"Meeting with the Camerons went pretty well yesterday, huh?" her father asked, looking at her overtop of his paperwork and breakfast. 

"Mmm, yeah. Rafe is cool and all," Marleigh lied through her teeth, not wanting her dad to be displeased. 

"That's my girl," he grinned. "I'm going to take this to go, Viv. I have some business to attend to at the Camerons as well." He gathered his things and slid the back door open, walking across the shared lawn. 

Marleigh retrieved hot sauce from the fridge and sat at the bar, squirting it all over her eggs. 

"So," Vivianne began, depositing a pan into the sink, "who's the boy?"

Marleigh snorted. 

How?

She pulled the fork out of her mouth. 

"Hot," she said regarding her snort, pointing to the sauce as an excuse. "What do you mean?"

"Honey," she shook her head, "you're glowing. And I'm your mother, I can tell."

"There's no boy, mom." Marleigh took a heaping bite of bacon. 

"Okay, then who was the cute blonde boy crawling out of your window this morning?" Her mother now stood across from her in the kitchen, leaning her elbows on the granite.