seven

present

present

~~~

"I hate to break it to ya, Mar, but you're stuck with us now," JJ mused as they crawled out of the coop.

"Nope. No, no, no. We almost just died."

"Nope. JJ's right. If you go now, we'll have to kill you." John B. goofed, flashing her wide eyes to emphasize the last part. 

"Oh, come on. I'm going home." She disregarded their gloomy looks and turned to walk to her car alongside Mags. 

From behind her back, Pope peered at the rest of the boys and tilted his head in a mischievous nod toward Marleigh. They all nodded and took off after her, scooping her off of her feet. 

"Oh my God! Stop!" She tore at their hands as they lifted her over their heads. 

"I told you, Brandy, we have to kill you now."

"Help me, Mags!" She playfully laughed along with them as they carried her to the Twinkie. 

~~

"I mean, it's obvious, right? A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was going to get back to me, right?" John B. devised from the driver's seat. 

The boys had thrown Marleigh into the van and took off to wherever it was John B. needed to go. They sat strewn throughout the vehicle, yet all shared a concerned look after John B.'s remark. 

"Yeah, it's possible," Kie nodded from the passenger seat. The three in the back shook their heads at her agreement with his fabrication. 

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help with your, you know..." Pope trailed off as he played with the compass. 

"Pope?"

"Deal with your sad feels," he finished. 

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels," JJ turned to Mar as he said this, "dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how I do i-"

"JJ!" Marleigh punched his shoulder to tell him to shut up. She couldn't help but stifle a laugh, though. 

"I'm not concocting, okay? My dad's trying to give me a message."

"If it helps you believe, John B.," Kie comforted. 

JJ gave Marleigh a pissed-off look from where he sat on the van floor, causing her to choke down yet another laugh.