twelve

present

present

~~~

"That bread had mold on it three days ago."

The five had returned to John B.'s, whooping and hollering in the van. It was completely dark out by now. 

JJ stood in the kitchen smothering something over top of moldy, soggy bread as Pope and Marleigh strolled by. 

"Ew, Jay," Marleigh snarled as she noticed what he was doing, plucking the knife from his hand. 

He snatched it back. "It's okay, I'll just pull off the bad parts!" Pope walked away while Marleigh's eyes widened. JJ playfully pointed the knife in her face. "Plus, mold is good for you. It's a natural organism."

"Okay, well, I'm not holding your hair for you when you're throwing up," Marleigh quipped, throwing her hands up and spinning on her heels to stand behind a frowning John B. at the table.

"JJ," Kie called for him, realizing everyone else was ready. 

"Hot damn!" He threw the knife on the counter with a clatter. "Let's do it." He sauntered over to join the rest of them. 

Lit by candlelight was the FedEx package titled "For Bird." Marleigh placed an encouraging hand on the shoulder of John B. as he tore off the seal, only to be interrupted by the regurgitating sounds of JJ. They ignored him as he gagged into his hand and left the room. 

All that could then be heard were the owls and crickets outside the open windows and the crinkling of the package. 

Out slipped a large, folded piece of paper, which John B. took the liberty of opening up. 

He raised his eyebrows with a "Holy Shit," as all leaned in closer to see better the map adorned with coordinates, an X, and some swirly drawing over the ocean. John B. ran his hands over it once more to smooth it out. 

"Ope, X marks the spot," Pope pointed. 

Mouths agape, the group drew in even closer. 

"Longitude, latitude," John B. ran his finger along the lines of the map. "Wait, there's something else in there," he observed, reaching back into the package. 

Out came a rectangular black box. John B. affectionately flipped it back and forth in his hands, running his eyes over each and every inch. 

"What's that?" JJ let out. 

Marleigh kicked his shin from under John B.'s chair.