08

I N D I A

A day has already passed, and no one came to pick me up from the airport

A day has already passed, and no one came to pick me up from the airport. Papa just called to ask whether or not I finally reached.

Yeah, ofcourse, the formality!

It took me 30 minutes to reach our
"Pushtaini Haweli." This house took away my childhood, my mother, my brother, my father, my smiles-my whole life got destroyed in this house and by the people of this house. (Pushtaini Haweli= Traditional Mansion)

I've been standing in front of the haweli for the past 10 minutes. I don't have the strength to go in and confront all those members who are not any less than strangers, even though they are supposed to be my own.

Mishra Sadan you took everything from me !

"Rooh Tabar?" I turned around just to be asked by my favorite, 'Naina Bhabhi-sa.' She is the wife of 'Vinod Bhai-sa', who has been the main driver of our house for a decade and a half.
(Tabar= child in rajashthani language)

I don't like her to be addressed as a maid, because when I was in India, she was more like family to me-like a mother. She took care of me, fed me, wiped away my tears. Maybe she doesn't recognize me now; it's been 9 years, after all.

"Khamma Ghani, Naina Bhabhi-sa." Joining my hands, bowing a little, I greeted her with a wide smile when she warmly smiled back at me.
(Khamma Ghani= Greetings)

No, no, I am not Rajasthani; she and Vinod Bhai-sa are. Just to communicate with them, I learned a little bit of Rajasthani because she was the only one who would talk to me in my childhood. I didn't want to create any language barrier between us, so I learned a few words to communicate with her.

"Tu toh kamaal rajkumari lag ri hai, Chori. Aisa lag riyo Mumal, aave chhe sundar." She exclaimed, making me chuckle. (You look amazing, princess girl. It feels like Mumal has arrived, beautiful)

[{Those who don't know, Mumal was a Rajasthani princess considered incredibly beautiful in that era. So, yeah, a little bit of reference from there. I don't know much; if I said anything wrong, do correct me.}]

She has always been so kind and sweet, not only to me, but it's her personality. I didn't get to talk much to Vinod Bhai-sa, but he's also a nice person, at least more than my own brother.

"Andar chalein, Rooh," she said, and unknowingly my body shivered, remembering the day before I left for London. (Let's go inside)

It was horrific; the past still haunts me, making me shiver.

Stammering, I managed to ask her, "Is she inside?" She nodded her head in reply, and that's when my balance was lost.

I didn't want to face her because I am no longer the old Rooh who will stay silent and bear whatever she is told. I will speak up for myself, but still, that lady manages to humiliate me, make me doubt myself, make me regret for things I haven't even done.