11

She parted her lips to answer and said, "I don't love you

She parted her lips to answer and said, "I don't love you."

She paused for a minute, breaking my heart into trillions. In that minute, she continued, "But I can love you. I mean, I am ready for marriage."

Did she say she's ready? Oh yes, Abhiyansh, your wif-erm- your rooh-is going to be yours officially.

"Are you saying yes under any pressure? I mean, is anyone pressuring you or do you love someone else and they want-" she cut me off in the middle.

"Aaram se, no one's forcing me. I mean, they did initially, but right now I said yes of my own will. I can assure you that," she said, and I felt relieved. (Relax)

Does it mean that she's ready to get married to me of her own will? I moved nearer to her, still maintaining a safe distance, and extended my right hand in front of her.

"Hi, soon-to-be Mrs. Rajvansh."

She too extended her hand, shaking mine, and said, "Hi, soon-to-be..." She paused, maybe thinking what to say, when I resumed her sentence, saying, "To be Mr. Mishra."

"If you can have my surname as yours, then I don't find any problem in taking your surname as mine," I said, expressing what I felt in my heart without filtering any words.

"Do you love me?"

She asked, a question to which I could answer for the whole night, but I didn't want her to think of me as a creep or stalker, so I said what I didn't want to but did.

"I won't lie to you. I don't love you, but I did like you in our childhood, and you must be aware of the royal pact made by our grandfathers. The moment I got to know about it, I prepared myself for this wedding. To be clear, I was also forced, but I never took their forcing seriously. I did what I wanted to, and yes, I also want to marry you. I guess we'll develop love after marriage. I don't find any issue in that. Do you?"

I said I wouldn't lie, but I did. I am sorry, Rooh. I'll make up for it in the most ravishing, elegant way possible.

"I don't. Besides, arranged marriages do succeed. But let me ask you, even though you have clarified yourself, I still want to know, umm, do you like someone else?" She asked something that felt like a sin if I had committed it.

I can never ever like anyone who is not you, Rooh.

"Never," I replied, and she nodded at my word and said, "I guess then we both should know about each other?"

"We should, but we are not given time." I guess she doesn't know that not only is our marriage decided, but the date is set too.

"Huh? What do you mean?" So I was right. Time for another bomb on you, Rooh.

"Not only is our marriage decided, but the date is set too," I told her and could see her face colour fading away.

"What? Are they even serious? How can they do this to us? Don't we have any choice" She said in total disappointment from our elders.