Chapter 5

What the hell were you thinking V? Locking her in a damn storage closet isn't going to help her any. It's definitely not gonna win you any brownie points."

I flutter my eyes open as they unlock the wooden door and light fills the small broom closet as Jake throws the door open.  I guess pissing off the fae king didn't help. But I refuse to bow down and kiss his shiny ass just because he's a fae or a king. Or worse. Both.

They can all kindly fuck off for all I care.

"Jesus, Von. She's fucking shaking, she's so cold." I look up at him and I know what he's thinking. Poor little human bitch is so pathetic that she couldn't even keep herself somewhat warm for a few hours. My thoughts of him are simply pushed away when he bends down at his knees and scoops me up in his arms, as if i weigh nothing, holding me like I'm fragile and can break easily in a mere second. Sucks to be him though, I'm already broken.

Between the warmth of his chest and his huge arms wrapping around my body, the shivers I had from the cold concrete have stopped. But I don't look at him again. I don't have hope that this tiny ounce of kindness will help me at all. Hope is a misconception to the mind. They're still fae. No matter what they do to help me I can't ignore that fact. I can't try to pretend they'd do anything out of the goodness of their heart. For one they don't know how to be good, evil and cruelty is bred into their veins before they were even a thought. And second, they don't have a heart. Any fae I have ever seen or came across no matter how briefly, is proof of that. Jake looks down on me but I refuse to look him in the eye. Refuse to show anything other than the hate I have for their kind. It's the least they deserve. Maybe us humans will get lucky and one day all of the fae will be wiped off the face of Centurion.

"We're gonna get you cleaned up Darling. We have somewhere to be." His words are so quiet I almost didn't hear him. His T-shirt is stretched as far as I think it will go against his taught muscles and I swear if the circumstances were different I wouldn't mind raking my tongue along every ridge of his gods perfected abs. His tattoos I realize are a combination of roses and skulls with smoke slithering through them, and around them. Snakes make their appearance just enough to show only tiny slivers of their bodies. It suits him, I realize. Something about him is scary yet beautiful. Hell if I'm being completely honest with myself each one of them are in their own way. But Jake, he's very tough on the outside, like a shell he uses to protect himself, but I can see that on the inside he's very soft. Maybe gentle even.

He carries me to a bedroom that's decorated in a deep blue color with a touch of red here and there. A giant four poster bed sits on the far side of the room perfectly made up and looks like it hasn't been touched in awhile. The furniture is bare minimum, with only a pair of chairs sitting in front of a small fireplace with a fur rug in front of them. He strides across the wooden floor and to the bathroom that's off to the left of the spacious room. Once we're inside I gasp at how big it is. It's not like a traditional human bathing room. No, not even close. The bathroom is far bigger than the room itself. The walls are covered in actual rocks or stone, I can't tell which. But it gives it an ancient feeling. A waterfall flows from the far wall out of a big boulder jutting from a tower of rocks. A pool of fresh water takes up most of the space in the room, though I can't tell how deep it really goes.

"I figured you might like it. Come on, let's get you bathed." I don't protest at his words. After all the chaos so far, a warm bath might ease my troubled mind.

He sets me down on my feet, and slowly turns to grab a couple of small bottles of what looks like oil and soap. Uncorking the top, he pours a little of each into the rippling water and stirs it in with his hand before putting the corks back into the openings of the glass bottles, and then resuming mixing the oil and soap into the water again.