iii

Two months later

" I'm sorry miss, but your songs can't be- you know they're not the type youth wanted to hear nowadays. People want to hear the songs like those of Money singh and Rony Kakkar, your soft romantic songs wouldn't pay us well. You getting what I mean right? " Sanchita nodded, though only one thing kept revolving in her head. 

Rejected. Once again. 

" Yeah I got it. Thanks for taking it into consideration anyways. " 

She came out of the music composer's cabin, and headed straight to the nearby cafeteria. Sensing the need to fill her system with energy, she sipped on her black tea. Her mind going towards the rejection, earlier. 

From the last two months, she'd been trying to get in contact with a music composer and get her music, her songs known to the world. Seems like, people have to wait for more time to witness her melodies. 

" It's alright. I've been rejected by one, there's many more. I shouldn't lose hope, so much to do, so much to achieve and so much to prove. " Sanchita's thoughts wandered to her parents but soon, it diverted when she noticed a person sitting on the far end of the cafeteria. 

She squinted her eyes, thinking hard of where she'd seen the man, when finally she remembered. Sanchita gulped down the liquid in a haste and walked towards the table, where the person was seated, lost in the pages of the book and mind faraway ; lost in an unknown land. 

" Hi, remember me? " Nihar glanced her from the corner of his eyes and went back to reading.

Sanchita continued, " I know you did. Woh- actually I wanna say sorry to you for that camp incident, few weeks ago. I shouldn't have called you names, that's quite insensitive of me. Just feeling guilty for it, ever since par sorry bolne ka kabhi chance hi nahin mila. Hope you could forgive me for my behavior. " 

[But didn't get the chance to apologize]

Not getting any answer, she probed further, " C'mon I know, you could hear me. You've got your hearing aids on. " 

Nihar sighed and pulled out his aids aggressively, " Now I can't hear your nonsense or whatever you're spitting, so better just fuck off. " and buried himself in the book again. 

Sanchita stood gaping at the rudeness, " Such a jerk, meri hi galti thi. " and still fuming with rage she went to the billing counter, when a devilish idea struck her. 

[It's my fault only]

" Excuse me- " the barista looked up, " -my fiance will pay the bill, he's sitting right in that corner table. " she pointed towards Nihar. 

The person followed Sanchita's gaze and nodded at the sitting figure, " Okay ma'am, no problem. " smiling she went out of the cafe and stood on the pavement, hands on hips and a proud smirk on her lips. 

" That's what happens when you take panga with Sanchita Jha. " laughing at her revenge, momentarily forgetting about her earlier rejection. 

She stepped towards the opposite direction, but the sight of a troubled old lady, made her walked in her direction instead. The old lady was struggling with her grocery bags. 

The woman was muttering something, about how heavy the grocery bag is. Once reaching near the old lady, Sanchita peeped in out of curiosity. 

"  May I help you ma'am? " she's bored and awfully idle anyways, would utilize the time in good work. 

The old lady looked up with stars in her eyes, " Oh I'll be so thankful beta. You know my age doesn't allow me to carry this much weight, but I've no choice as well- " she handed them to Sanchita, " -I've a grandchild too, but he's too busy with his works. Hardly could help me out. Such a nice young lady you are. A contrast to this generation; helpful and kind. And pretty too I may say. " the woman kept on rambling, while she maintained a polite smile. 

" I talk so much didn't I? " the woman sighed out, not getting much response from Sanchita. 

" Arre nahin ma'am, you don't. I like listening to you- experiencing how having a grandparent would feel like. I don't have one na- " Sanchita stopped abruptly when the woman caressed her cheek. 

[No ma'am]

" Stop calling me ma'am then, tumhare dadi ki umar ki hi hu, call me dadi. " she smile nodding and walked side by side the woman who'd again started to talk. 

[I was almost the age of your grandma]

" We've reached. " Sanchita looked at the rusty old gate, and then at the women, " It's where you live? " 

" Yes, it's my home, where I live with my- " 

Sanchita's phone blared, " Do you want me to carry those to your house? " switching the bag to her other hand and probing the phone out of her jeans pocket from the other, she asked the old lady. 

" No it's alright beta, I'll do the rest. Why don't you come inside- " the old lady take those bags from Sanchita's hands. 

Sanchita shook her head vigorously, " Nahin dadi, it's fine, I should be get going. " the caller name on the ringing phone was successful in ruining her already bad mood. 

[No grandma]

The woman tried to insist but Sanchita apologize for the rush and walked away after biding goodbye to the lady. Turning around the corner, she picked up the call, instantly regretting. Should have just let it ring. 

" So what did he say? " her mother questioned straight away, even forgetting the general greetings and to ask if her daughter had eaten anything or not. 

Though Sanchita scowled but it sting inside, " Hello to you too ma. And no, it's a rejection this tim- " she didn't get to complete the sentence. 

" We've told you before too. Kuch nahin hoga yeh gaane-waane se. Come home and do what we're asking you to do. And stop tiring up your useless brain. If you've used it when needed, ab itna jhelna nahin padta humein. Are you listening wha- " she cut the call. 

[Nothing could be gone with your music. If you've used your brain before, we wouldn't have to go through so much trouble now]

Leaning against the half-built wall, she released a staggered breath. Some things are not meant to change, even when we try hard to change it, even at the cost of our hardwork, even at the cost of our life. 

~•~ 

After a long time, I know. Just got stuck up with the exams and now am free, but these Wattpad glitches * crying * I'm unable to log in in the app and now using it through chrome. Koi ni. 

Please do share your views and do vote and support. Constructive criticism is welcomed. ☺❤