vi.

' Oo hasina julfon wali jaane jahan '

Both the women, swayed their hips to the beat, laughing and enjoying their Sunday morning together. The slight breeze and the occasional chirping of birds, makes the mood even better.

" Wow, naani. No doubt, you must've been a heartthrob in your days. " Maya, Nihar's grandma laughed gleefully, before pulling off a smug look.

" People used to call me 'hasin dilruba'. " Sanchita giggled, side eyeing that one particular person, through the transparent glass door.

Maya noticed her discreet movements, " Let me make some tea for us. " and make her way to the kitchen.

" Arre, no naani. Let me do it, otherwise your grandson will chop off my head, after deducting my salary for letting you stress yourself out. Just tell me your preferences. " Sanchita took hold of the pan from Maya's wrinkled hand.

Maya checked her smile and nodded, " Okay then, milk tea for me with no sugar and can you please, make haldi doodh for Nihar, he needs it in the morning. " she nodded and went to do the work, humming a tune to herself.

Nihar looked up at her, when she forwarded him his beverage and went back to his newspaper, " It's not required. You don't need to do all this, serving me doesn't fall under your job. "

Sanchita waited, hands on her hips, waiting there, tapping her foot on the floor. Sighing he looked up again, " What. Do. You. Want? "

" A thank you would be fine. " rolling his eyes and mumbling out a 'thanks' he dismissed her with a flick of his wrist, the glass of flavored milk untouched. He doesn't even take a look at that drink.

The drink in which, she'd put half her energy just to make it edible.

" Ungrateful brat. "

" I heard that. One more word from you and you may kiss your this month's salary goodbye. " she huffed and sat down next to Maya with a thud, " What happened beta? "

" Why is he like this naani, so rude and- " she stopped midway, " -so distant. " Maya held her shoulder and got up from the couch, asking Sanchita to follow her. Nihar was too absorbed in his newspaper to notice either of them.

They walked upto the elder woman's room and once seated, Maya took out an album, " See, this is Nini. " Sanchita looked at the four-five year old boy, having an ear splitting smile on his face and staring at the camera. " It's that year when he lost his parents; I lost my daughter and son-in-law in a car accident. That's the first blow to his soul-"

Sanchita caressed the photo of the boy, " -and then he got diagnosed with sensorineural deafness, because of the meningitis he caught a few months after his parents demise. The infection spread to his inner ear, thereby damaging the hair cells. He was all dependent on the hearing aids, since he was adamant to not learn the sign language. But the thing that put the final nail in the coffin was, when his paternal relatives refused to keep him with them, after the death of their son. That little kid was too much of a burden for them it seems. " Maya laughed humorlessly.

" This made him what he's today. He's so fed up with the pity and sympathy that people throw towards his way, that he'd sheathed himself with the thing that he'd feared once. Silence. " a staggered breath left her lips.

" I'm so sorry to hear tha- "

" Don't be. I've told you earlier, pity and sympathies are what my grandson loathed the most. If anything, just be genuine around him. Only then you'll be able to discover what gem of a person my baby is. An absolute coconut. " Maya smiled and Sanchita smiled back.

Maya smiled, because she knew that she'd done the right thing, by letting her know about him. Sanchita smiled, because she, now knew what had to be done.

Coming out of the room, Sanchita walked to the living hall where Nihar has his nose still in the newspaper. She smiled glancing at the drink,  finding the cup empty.

Sensing someone's eyes on him, he looked up and raised his chin at her, as if asking her why she's looking at him like that.

She just shake her head with a small smile, still not taking her eyes off. It's like she could see the little boy, who'd been abandoned by everyone.

Nihar exhaled in exaggerated exasperation and putting down the newspaper walked out of the room, muttering, " Such an idiotic creep. "

Really a rude coconut!

~•~
Done!!! So what's your views on this chapter, please do share with me. And  also vote and support. Constructive criticism is welcomed. ☺❤